Tri-Z 250! Lookin for a lil help.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'00 WO-YA!

Reaction score
Shenandoah Valley, between the Blue Ridge mountain
K, we got ourselves a basket case YTZ 250, most of it is there but the engine is missing. I've done a bit of reading & it seems like the 83-87 YZ 250 is a swap in engine, however, the Tri-Z has a fwd kick, kickstart & the YZ has a normal. Also, the YZ is a powervalved engine whereas the YTZ 250 is not. I also understand that even with a complete YZ engine I'd still have to get a YTZ head, I'm assuming it's to do with the mounting brackets. Anything you guys can add & help with would be awesome, this is w/o a doubt one of my favorite cool old machines & I wanna resurrect it!

How so my man? It's quite rewarding if I can piece it back together, the really sucky part is finding what I need for a machine only in production for 2 years. Had one back in the day that was pretty decent & foolishly let it get away. Kinda hate myself for that.
Anyway, what about making the YZ stuff work? Know anything about that?

Just breakin' yer stones, bub.
My WR200RD basket case is a 1 year wonder too.

Sorry I have no input to the swap idea. I do know that era ('84-86ish) YZ250 makes for a real tractable engine if you can get around those roadblocks. The '84 on the right in my avatar was much easier to ride than the CR scud missile beside it. Both were bone stock and surprisingly identical in a drag race.

Old skool kool! :tup:

you can fix the kick start thing 2 ways ...
1. (cheap and ez) bolt rear fender to seat pan like a honda and just pop it off when you kick it.
2. use the tri z side cover and kicker assembly but there something you have to do to get the power valve to work right

the guy to talk about this is chiansaw on 3ww but im not sure if he gets on there much anymore

Check out item # 150738026171 on ebay. Sounds like this guy is parting out a complete tri-z. Said he just rebuilt the top end with a wiseco for a customer and the guy couldn't come up with the money.

I would. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain. And if it was rebuilt and rebuilt right it's just 1 more feather in your cap.

I hear that. Nothing more fun than building engines. Or anything for that matter. You're probably like me, rather get a bucket of parts and do the work yourself. That way you know what you got, know that it was done right.

Back