Transmission Problems?? maybe??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtstalker

Reaction score
Got another warrior a few months back rode it for a while, ran good. Last time it was rode it quit pulling. Was having to roll start it do to a bad one way bearing. It sounds like it will click thru all the gears, but it doesn't engage. Today I got around to pulling the clutch cover off and checking things out. Everything in there looks good, nothing is broke on that side. When it is in a forward gear, I can turn the rear wheels and nothing in the clutch side moves. It seems like its gets tight but doesn't do anything. I can put it in reverse and everything in the clutch side turns, but it's pretty damn hard to roll over like that even with the spark plug out. Is the transmission shot in this thing?? Or something I'm overlookin? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

So the clutch assembly and not slipping? AKA The center hub and steel plates that are in between the frictions should be locked together while you have the clutch cover removed. Clutches could just be worn out.

Clutches assembly is tight with the cover off. when i put the bike in reverse and turn the wheels by hand all the gears and clutch basket rotate. when i take it out of reverse and put in a forward gear the wheelse will turn by hand. front sprocket rotates but the clutch basket or any of the gears move at all. it almosr seems as if whatever connects the front sprocket to tge gears and clutch basket is broke or stripped.just tryin to get some ideas on what may be the problem before i etart spkuttin the casrs if i dont have to do that i would prefer not to lol

So you are saying it lock into gear in reverse but not any forward gear? No abnormal noise? Haven't dealt with a trans issue on a 350 so this is new to me..

Yup. seems to lock in reverse but no forward gears. there is a grinding/slipping kind of noise in both directions. sounds like its on the sprocket side of the case. trans issues are new to me also. thats the only thing i havent had ant issues with on these bikes lol. the day it messed up it just quit going. we tried to pull it to roll start it and it would never catch and lock tge tires. you could dump the clutch and it wiuld just keep on rollin

You using the correct oil? I'm wondering if you used energy conserving oil and the clutch is just slipping.

Yeah, been using yamalube and rotella t that's approved for wet clutch systems. Just seems odd that it'll lock in in reverse and not any forward gears. And when you turn the wheels by hand, they are pretty hard to turn and they get tight then it frees up for a second and it'll turn then starts getting hard to spin again. And like I said, it sounds as if something is grinding or slipping on the sprocket side of the case. Taking the stator cover off doesn't let me see anything around that.

are you sure you are getting the forward/reverse lever all the way engaged in the forward position it happens to me on #5 all I do is push the lever a little further forward and it engages

Yeah, I think so at least. When I got it it was kinda hard to get it all the way in sometimes. I may try adjusting the linkage some and see if that may help some. It feels like it locks all the way in on the lever though. And you can feel resistance when turning the wheels forward by hand, but the clutch basket or none of those gears on that side are turning when the wheels are turning and the frong sprocket is turning.

Something had to have let go in the transmission whats happening is the bike is not engaging in to forward moving gears if there is nothing moving on the clutch with no load and you spinning the tires i wouldn't see it slipping and even at that it should still move!!!

What would I need to do to find out if it was just stuck between forward and reverse? and how to fix it?

just a thought but try taking the forward reverse linkage of stick some pliers on it and try moving it inn and out of forward reverse while spinning tires and in 1st gear watch for clutch basket to move

I think I may have got it fixed..hopefully. Had a spare bottom end with good trans in it..so I was ready to split the cases and replace everything. Got the motor ready to pull out, and started looking closely at the forward/reverse lever on trans..and low and behold, some hack had rigged it up horribly. It didn't have the spring on it at all and they had welded the arm to the other piece and bolted it on. Replaced all that with a spare..and everything seems to be working as supposed to. Everything engages and the motor and clutch basket are all turning as normal.

Back