trans noise

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quikcarl

Reaction score
I have an '89 Warrior, started making noise today. Sounds like maybe coming from the transmission area, not sure. It is a random squealing / grinding noise when you are moving. no noise sitting still with the engine runnng. Sounds kind of serious, up till now it has been running flawless. Any ideas?

No, didn't think of that....how do you check the rear axle bearings, it's a sealed unit, isn't it?

Jack the ass of the maching up..put it on nuetral or take the chian off..then turn the axle..If it turns smoothly with no binding up then they are good..it should be easy to turn too..if its not then you need new ones..thats the easy way to do it. you could take the axle out and check them too..Your chian isnt dragging on something is it?

Well, I found out what it was, the rear axle bearings are toast. Wobbles pretty bad when jacked up. Is the repair / replacement difficult ?

no its not..do you have a manual..it deff worth the money to get one..im only 15 and just rebuilt my warrior with out my dads help i just read the manual when i need to know something. I think i could prolly do almost anything to it now with out the manual though.

Well, I found out what it was, the rear axle bearings are toast. Wobbles pretty bad when jacked up. Is the repair / replacement difficult ?

Getting it apart can be an issue if there is rust. The bearing races like to hang on tight. Putting it back together is easy. Don't skimp on the water resistant grease. Some people like to put a grease fitting on the carrier when it is apart. Get the grease off the threads where the double nuts go and use locktite on them

OK, got it mostly apart, but the axle won't come out of the housing, bearings are rusted pretty bad. Is there a trick to getting it apart?

I would spray the hell out of it with WD-40 or something similar. Also, try quickly hitting the rusted part with a hammer, as in hit it and pull the hammer back as fast as possible. That can vibrate some rust off, that's how I got my a-arm off.

Got it apart, except for one of the races is stuck, can't get behind it from the other side.

That happened tome with both of my front hubs, I took it to a shop with a slide hammer and this weird attachment, it's pretty much 5 or 6 metal bars about 30cm long sticking out of the slide hammer end in a circular formation, there's this screw or something in the middle that moves the free edges of the metal bars outwards, these edges lock onto the bearing race and you use the slide hammer to pull it out.

I know my explanation sucks, but hopefully you get the general idea. I would take it to a shop like I did.

I know what you're talking about, I have a slide hammer, but not any attachments like that to pull it out.

Back