Trans experts, a question :)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeVW

Reaction score
My fast vibration at idle, while sporadic, has gotten worse I think.

I've also been able to start and stop the noise, when it is occurring.

Ride hard and have fun, race up and stop in gear with the clutch pulled and held, and I can feel it in the seat and pegs.

Out of gear and into neutral, still feel it.

Work the clutch, still feel it, but I can also hear the input shaft start to spin and stop with the clutch operation, it doesn't change the vibration.

Standing on the pegs, rock the bike to the left, it makes it worse. To the right, it seems to lessen it a bit. I would think that would help diagnose what is going on, but I have more :)

If I'm out of gear, and it is doing it, I pull and hold the clutch, still doing it, step down on the shifter and clunk it into 1st, it still does it.... if you press down on the shifter again (even though you are in 1st) the noise stops as long as you continue to press down on the shifter and hold it there.

Nothing is happening in the trans as far as shifting as it is already in 1st, the sleeve has locked the gear to the shaft, I'm just pressing down on the shifter as if there were another gear under it, and the shifter will move a small bit and stop like normal.... when I hold it down, the noise/vibration is gone. It stops.

The selector looks like a sleeve or tube with cam slots in it to move the shift forks... as far as I know (*which isn't much with these trans), the selector is all I am moving in there, right? Or is it pulling on the fork and sleeve when I do that as well?

I've not tried it with the other gears yet.

If the clutch is pulled and held, the input shaft stops. If the bike isn't rolling, the output shaft stops, right? Isn't that about all that is in the trans, just the 2 shafts and gear stacks? Nothing else should be spinning in there?

That makes me wonder if it is in the engine then... balancer, cam chain, I don't know... hopefully someone here will know based on the clues that it gets worse when rocked to the left, and stops completely when you try to downshift when already in 1st. As soon as you release the shifter and let it come back up to 1st again like normal, it is making the noise again.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me:tup:

Since it stopes when you are holding pressure on the shifter it makes me think its the shift brum bearing but you saying it shits fine but it dose it in most gears? That makes me think bent shifting forks but with you saying shaking it makes it change a little and you can hear the starter ideler kick in I'm thinking the one way bearings out

Since it stopes when you are holding pressure on the shifter it makes me think its the shift brum bearing but you saying it shits fine but it dose it in most gears?

It shifts just fine, a little dodgy to grab neutral when hot sometimes, sometimes you can get neutral and the light isn't on, sometimes it is not quite out of gear and the light is on... but I seem to recall this only being an issue when dead stopped. When rolling and allowing the shafts and hubs in the trans to rotate, neutral isn't hard to find.

Shifting is positive, never jumps out, never misses, and other than a few times of panicky downshifting when flying into a corner too hot, it has always downshifted just fine. Sometimes I think I am down in 1st, and it is actually in neutral when I rapidly kick it down to prepare for a corner, but that is about it as far as shifting.

That makes me think bent shifting forks but with you saying shaking it makes it change a little and you can hear the starter ideler kick in I'm thinking the one way bearings out

Shaking it absolutely changes it.
Today I played with it more to try to get more info for you fine folks willing to help me diagnose it, and this is what I found... which actually seems to go against what I said it was doing yesterday, but read on...

It was doing it, and I was in neutral, shaking it. I was shifting back and forth through the gears, moving it about for about 5 minutes, and at some point I ended up out of gear, and the noise wasn't happening, or at least not as badly.... so I just started to lift it up to 2nd, and before it engaged, the vibration would occur. As I lifted the shifter a touch, it would do it... while I did that, I had my right foot on the ground, and I moved the bike forward, and the vibration got worse. Rolling backwards made it better. Very much like rocking it left and right, but this was much more pronounced that it was the movement that was doing it. Slowly rolling it forward for a foot or 2 meant it would vibrate badly the entire time it was slowly rolling. Rolling it backward slowly (but steadily) made it better.

That pretty much has to be something attached to, or close to that front drive sprocket, right? A one-way bearing sounds like a prime suspect based on it rolling back and forth and changing? The clutch wasn't pulled in while I was rolling it back and forth, I believe.

Anyway, it had a vibration today, and it got WORSE when slightly lifting on the shifter to 2nd, and I believe the same for slightly pressing down to start to select 1st... when I did that slight shifter movement and it got worse, you can then roll the bike forward and it will do it even more. Rolling it backwards makes it do it less.

If anyone can think of any tests that I can do to help pinpoint what might be bad, I'd be more than happy to carry those out:tup:

If the oneway bearing is bad then it would barely turn the motor over when trying to start...

It starts right up, rolls like a dream with the new bearings and chain when you have to push it around (unless you try to turn it with those new tires, then it rolls like **** of course), no struggle at all while cranking.

Thanks for any help.... I thought I bought a lightly used machine that I wouldn't have to do any work on. I paid $1900 for it, and the same day I gave $550 for a 1986 Suzuki 230 QuadSport, which hasn't been down a single day since I bought both of them. This Warrior was down for 2 weeks solid recently waiting on parts, I fought the clutch and axle bearing install, and the more this goes on, the more I think I got burned and I should clean it up real well and re-list it on craigslist, try something else.:argh:

Back