toyota?????

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94warpig

Reaction score
Ok guys/gals. Im looking at a 2004 toyota four runner sr5 v6 for the wife. She is 100% in love with the thing. I know we have some yota people on here and some techs as well. Anything I need to look out for?

It seems like a nice one. Ive read a bunch of reviews and no one really has anything bad to say

I hate Toyotas IFS setup on the older 4Runners. I know they were prone to hub bearing failure. I dunno if they fixed it on the newer ones though? But they are a nice reliable ride.
If it seems like a good deal, I say go for it.

i have 2 of them both with over 400K on them and most of that off road i have never had a hub bearing failure yet

so you must be talking 89 +

i have 2 of them both with over 400K on them and most of that off road i have never had a hub bearing failure yet

so you must be talking 89 +
Yah thats what I was aiming toward.. Thats why I said they may have addressed that issue?
I have never owned a Toyota yet, but have heard the same **** as whats wrong with my Nissan. Them damn hub bearings are a pain in the ass! Time for a SAS!!

Yah thats what I was aiming toward.. Thats why I said they may have addressed that issue?
I have never owned a Toyota yet, but have heard the same **** as whats wrong with my Nissan. Them damn hub bearings are a pain in the ass! Time for a SAS!!

mine are 86 and 87 ... i dont really like the 89 - 95 v6 4runner

The 89-95 4 runner is a pile of ****. No interrior room AT ALL, it's ass drags the ground, is nose high, has shitty acceleration, the 3.0 sucks ass, the heads like to crack and timing belts are fun. There is no room in the engine compartment. I can go one. The newer ones are MUCH improved. The lower balljoints are easy to replace, if I remember right. Just take off the nut, seperate it from the knuckle, then unbolt the 2 or 3 bolts holding it to the control arm and whalla! That easy. I don't recall replacing any hub bearings on the newer ones. I think they are bolt on hub and bearing assemblies. The older 4 runner (and nissans) had the typical inner and outer tapered wheel bearings, with the handfull of lock nuts/rings, and you have to use a special hub nut socket to loosen/tighten em. I don't have that one, surpisingly, but I manage fine without it. Older Fords can be a pain, too. And, a few changed designs over the years.

My boss has a newer one ive done alot of maintenance too and has buddy has one also and ive done work to it but nothing realy major to either, they are both realy nice and pritty loaded inside and trust me my boss beats the hell out of his cars, hell his 96 explorer is now his hunting truck sense he got his runner so im going to say make her happy and get it aslong as its ok(you check it out)!!!!

One thing to look at with Toyota in general with there trucks and SUVs is frame rot. I failed one for inspection about 3 weeks ago. It was a mid 90'a 4runner but by design and honestly shitty metal all of them are prone to rot. Best thing is to take a small hammer and bang on any suspicious spots but with a newer ride out may not be a problem unless you're in an area with alot of winter weather.

I heard something about the frame rot. And we do get winter weather. Im hoping to be able to put it up on the hoist and check it out

One other thing. Whne you change the oil, put an empty oil bottle under the drain hole in the in the oil filters base. If you don't, it will make a mess. Idiots.

Ok cool. Thanks for the advice. Ill post up some pics if I end up buying it.

the 4.0's are amazing lil engines! they fixed all the issues that the 1st and 2nd gen v6's had. should be a great lil buddy

One other thing. Whne you change the oil, put an empty oil bottle under the drain hole in the in the oil filters base. If you don't, it will make a mess. Idiots.
I usauly just cut a peice of vacum line and hook the the little spout and run it down out the bottom of the truck about 1 1/2'' and zip tie it to the frame...

Well shes already in love so I doubt im gonna get out of buying the damn thing! Ill make sure I check it out really well. Maybe if she gets this she will stop driving my truck cause of the snow!!! I hate her car!

Back