• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to YFM350 and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

top end job!(replacing head&gasket)mini thread....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black42

Reaction score
first i removed the head while still in frame,undid the exhaust,carborator,timming cover & left side lower cover.then i took the top motor mounts off.1)....loosend the two allen bolts on the left side top,then loosend the four top head bolts.2)......took the two back bolts out!3.).......then tilted the head slightly upward and forward to gain clearance to remove the to front head bolts.4.)took the timming wheel off and tied the timming chain up with string as not to drop it into the case!!!5.).....then i removed the head out the right side.(forgot to tell you that i loosend the timming chain tensioner and removed all together,to give me more play with the timming chain!),
Then i cleaned the suface with solvent and made sure to plug all opennings with clean shop clothes to prevent anything dropping into the cylender!i then had the head check for any damage and began to reverse my steps.Paying close attension to the piston and the clearance.with everything in good shaoe i began to install the head gasket,making sure that the valve guides were installed properly.pulling the string though the openning(timming chain housing)then setting the head down level and softly.I then put the two shorter bolts on the right side,the two longer on the left side.Then i put the two alen bolts on the left side!.......checking the alignment to insure everything was ok thus far!I then place the timmig chain on its wheel and bolted it finger tight to set my timming marks.i spun the engine by hand(with wrench) to get my bottom mark at the "T" for top dead center,removed the timming chain wheel with the chain,took chain off of the wheel and set my top mark!(sribbed into the timming chain wheel as a line that points to the upper left just a tad) see manual!!!!!!!! placed the timming chain back on the wheel and rotated the engine several times to make sure that my marks where true!!!Good to go.........then in the order prescribed by manual,began to tighten the bolts in there order(see manual)after finishing the bolts,i tourqued them down(see manual) to specs....installed the carborator and the header pipe,the two top motor mounts and then i drained the oil,flushed twice,then reassembled the quad!i must say that this was my first time doing this type of job.I was scared but did it anyway!after replacing the correct amount of oil and new fuel(97 octain),i put the entire exhaust back on along with the gas tank.Checking over everything just once more!!!!! i fired her up!!!! WoW!!!LOL i did it!!! all by myself!!! i know that i probably left out a few things(steps) but i did the first time and all by myself and she runs great!!!! i forgot to mension that the keiln carb and the fat-boy4 along with some other stuff,i left off.I'll be putting those on one of my personal warrs......LOL thanks for the support and confidance bilding threads.........i wouldnt have tried something like this before and a big shout out to the (MANUAL)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back