Top end help needed

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxraptor350riderxX

Reaction score
Ok 05 raptor, my top end is very leaky from multiple places, I ordered a std bore (83mm) 10:25:1 wiseco piston and gasket kit for $139. Afterward I called my local shop and there estimate was a little rediculous IMO $525 for just labor... Needless to say I cans drop 500 on that right now but I have no idea where to start with the top end. I have a manual, but I'd like to here from you all how hard it is to do and about how long of a project an I looking at? I basicly know all of the parts in the topend I just don't want to mess anything up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank god lol, I was hoping it would be somthing I could do on the weekend! And I'll keep her all spotless. Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you already ordered your piston, you might have to send it back and get on oversize. I always wait til tear down to order unless I know for sure what the bore is and I am planning to go oversize. Also it might need bored, in which case you'll be like me and waiting on a machinist to get it done. So might not be done in a weekend.

You have to measure and inspect the cylinder walls to even know if you can use that std size piston. IF you can, you will have to have the cylinder re-honed. So, again, not really a weekend thing. Unless there is a shop open on Saturday that can measure and hone for you, IF it can be done.

^Listen to these guys they know their **** lol. But it's easy i'm 14 and I did it in a few hours with a service manual

On a raptor its easier to pull whole engine. You only have to remove left side panel then pull engine out through left side. Alot quicker then a warrior. Ive done it a few times now lol

Prolly can save money on labor by pulling the engine yourself and taking it to a shop if your not comfortable doing it..

What's boring and re-honing? I somewhat understand what boring is. Making the hole a certain size so it fits perfectly.

boring is only used if you're putting a bigger piston in, honing is required for all top end rebuilds, even if you use a stock size piston or the rings will not seat right on the piston. It's all really simple just pay attention to what you're doing, keep notes of where every little nut bolt washer came from and put it back the same way and you'll be good!

even if it doesn't need bored it will need rehoned to break the glazing on the walls of the cylinder, otherwise your rings will either not seat right and generally wear out prematurely or burn oil.

here's a pic of the jug from my 03 when i took it apart to have head work done. this cleaned up with a hone. the built up edge at the top was still slightly visible afterwards, and the cylinder had some minor tapering but was still very useable, and this quad has been through a hard life, ran for hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Picture1047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back