Timing Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonS

Reaction score
Okay dudes, I wanna run a question by some of you.

I know that the cam gear isn't going to line up exactly with the mark on the head even though it lines up with the T on the flywheel. It's going to be off one tooth either Advanced or Retarded.

My question is what are the benefits of running it one tooth Advanced or running it one tooth Retarded? Also, which side of the head mark would be Advance or Retard? My cam gear marker is just on the right side of the head mark.

:loco:

No it is retarded, as are the 3 of you. LMAO! I couldn't help myself. lol. The crank does rotate conter clockwise, so if the cam is set more to the right (clockwise) then the cam will take longer to open the valves in relation to the piston ocsilating. Turn it to the left and what happens? That's right, it is further ahead of the crank, and will open the valves sooner.

okay, thanks for that tidbit. i may advance it at a later time. it runs damn good like it is. i just can't remember if it was advanced or retarded before the cam bearing took a poo.

when I put my new cam chain in the cam mark lined up perfectly with the mark on the head with the T on crank in line too

I wouldn't mess with it, unless you have the adjustable cam gear from either web or megacycle. Their gears are made to adjust the cam within a certain number of degrees. Just turning the gear a tooth in either direction, could spell a bent valve. One tooth is a lot, if you stop and think about it, because it is a single over head cam engine, not a DOHC.

Something else to remember, is gasket thickness. That plays a big part in valve timing, because the thinner the gaskets, the more the cylinder and or head sit "down" onto the crankcase. And, vise versa, if they are thicker gaskets. That alone will make the timing mark go one way or another. Mine is slightly advanced with the cometic est gaskets and the head being decked .015". Overall it is .022" total that the top end is sitting "down" on the bottom end.

hrm, i didn't think about it, but i was running cometic est gaskets that came with my 366 kit. now i switched to all oem. is there a big difference?

Last edited:
I believe that the est comes in a couple different thicknesses. My est head gasket was .007" thinner than stock. But, me head is also decked .015" so it is like I'm not running a base gasket.

i don't have any idea what the est's i had were measuring. i went with oem though because i know they're good and cheaper. i'll be alright though even if i lose a little umphh with oem it still runs on it's own haha

Yeah, I can't remember what I measured mine out to be, but the package did say the thickness, and I remember they were supposed to be 7thous thinner.

i got mine from vitos. i bet they could tell me the size, but i'll live haha. they still sell the same piston/gasket combo that i bought 2 yrs ago

Back