Thumb or twist throttle?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuana

Reaction score
What works better on the Raptor a Thumb throttle or a twist throttle.
I can honestly say that after riding a couple of hours my right wrist and thumb hurt. Just would like to know your two cents.

if your thumb hurts you need to excersize it or sack up or ride more often.....if you want a twist throttle go get a dirtbike

A twist throttle on a quad takes a while to get used to, and then still they're not a real good choice for most people. It makes it difficult to maintain steady throttle over rough terrain and around corners, because of the natural tendency for your wrists to twist as you're bouncing around and turning the bars sharp.

if your thumb starts to hurt start playing some racing video games! (cause you use your thimb a lot) but I agree with yamarider. I think twist is for dirtbikes. you can control the throttle better with thumb throttle. say if the quad jerks you back, you want to hold on so the twist throttle would keep opening up making the quad go faster. thats the only think I don't like about 'em

Twists are not very good for quads, otherwize the pro racers would all have them. But to each his own. A company sells a kit that has both twist and thumb, that might work for ya.

After riding tours with tourists for about 2 years day in and day out for 6 to 8 hours a day I think anyone would get trouble with their wrist. Atleast I have some opinions from you and know why it's not a good idea to replace the throttle.

Thanks

Get the thumb extender kit, almost like a twist because you can use the bottom of your hand, and it's like $25

i rode a dirtbike my whole life till about 2 years ago beause i fractured my spine playing lacrosse and it hurts my leg on a dirt bike. Anyways i never liked the thumb, it always hurt my thumb/wrist. I went and got a twisty for my last bike and i raced it a bunch and love it the only problem that i had with it was that in the cold weather my hand would stiff up beuae of not using it like opening it or anything. Im looking into getting back into the twisties but i need to finish my warrior first.

Hey you never no, just try it you might like it, get one cheap off ebay and if you dont like it sell it back on ebay. If you use to ride dirt bikes i would say go with it becuase you are already much use to it.

I have been riding ATC's since the middle 80's and that was the first thing I would always do was to put on a twisty. Got married had some kids, blah blah blah... So when getting back into riding and buying a quad I was surprised how much better you can control the throttle with a thumb throttle.

Like others have said thumb throttle is much easier to control on woops and jumps. Landing a big jump your wrist naturally flexes down from the impact resulting in throttle on a twist. But the big difference is when riding wheelies. It is hard to control your right wrist while pulling back on a wheelie, and if you start to go back to far and having to hang on it is really hard to rotate your wrist up to let off of the throttle.

I had the stocker on there, and I can't stand them. I have way more control with my Motion Pro twisty. You all say that you hit the throttle more on bumps and jumps, but after riding with one for 2 years on the Warrior and 5+ on a bike you learn how to do it without.

I bought a used warrior with a twist and love it! At first when riding every now and again I would get caught off guard but since then I have never had any problems going over bumps or jumps or zipping through trails. I will definately put one on my next quad.

if ur goin to buy a twist throttel make sure the rotation is not very large. mine is about 90 degrees to wide open and others are almost double that, and i couldn't imgaine how bad that would begin to hurt ur wrist having to turn it so far.

[quote:glxyd5oe]if your thumb hurts you need to excersize it or sack up or ride more often

Is there a lighter spring for a warrior carb so the throttle pushes easier.[/quote:glxyd5oe]

THE STOCK WARRIOR SPRING IS ALREADY WEAK.

Dont even attempt to replace it with a lighter one or you will be heading face first into a tree wide open before you know it.

THE STOCK WARRIOR SPRING IS ALREADY WEAK.

Dont even attempt to replace it with a lighter one or you will be heading face first into a tree wide open before you know it.

Ok didn't know that thanks
don't need to hit a tree or anything else

Back