This wheeler has me sick! Wont start..

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wv03warrior

Reaction score
So, I've been working on the warrior a few hours a day the past couple days doing some upgrades. I installed banshee shocks, modded my air box, clean/jetted/pen spring and valve cap mod. Parking break block off, new AOF clutch perch and motion pro cables.

No to the bad....got everything cleaned up and re-installed. It is still on jacks becuase my wheels are at the shop getting new tires mounted.

I wanted to see how it started and throttle responeded even tho it was on jack stands. So, it turned over fine started up fine. I let it warn up a min, gave it a little gas and it died. THEN it the starter wont even turn the engine over. Every time I hit the start button the starter relay just clicks once. :argh:

Don't really have a clue of what it could be or where I should start testing. Any suggestions?

Oh BTW I've been busting my ass to get all of this done bc i have a big ride planned Saturday. Its times like these I wish theses wheelers had a pull/kick start

check battery charge and connections. the ground wire to the block from the battery. off that checks out pull the left side plastic cover and verify the engine will turn over. if that's fine its time to check the starter connections and the starter. you can either pull the starter and bench test it or I've used a jumper cable to run power directly to the starter. there's the basics.

oh and you can add a pull starter, you just need to acquire the correct parts.

sounds like battery dead to me! or bad connection on the battery or bad ground! Use a screwdriver to jump the selenoid!

Battery is brand new and has a charge. All the connections look good and feel tight. Ground looks good. I thought it might be the starter relay from what I read after I started this thread. I tried to jump the relay w a scree driver across the points and nothing happened at all. It didn't even click.

I Had to leave for work this morning so didn't have time to test the starter. Hoping that's it or something else simple..

Thanks for the info, and I'm def looking into a pull start. Might be my next mod!

Hi, I had this problem on my Raptor 350. It clicked and didn't start. So to be sure my starter was ok. I hooked jumper cables from my cars battery to my Quads battery (always do this when your car isn't running). My ATV fired almost immediately with the choke on. Then I bought a new battery charged it to standard and everything was good. Good Luck !

If it didn't click you have a bad connection somewhere man! It should have at least threw a spark and clicked even if its bad bc its hotwired to the battery basically... Check your inline fuse...

jumping the solenoid you bypass the inline fuse and being that he's hearing a click when hee uses the button power is getting past it. it has something to do with the starter or connection for power at the starter. it could also be corrosion where the starter touches the block.

ok so i've tested all of the above here are the results...

-battery tested and is good.
-pulled started and did bench test. it turned fine. connection to starter looks fine, i did not see any corrosion when i pulled the starter off.
-double checked all connections, paid close attention to ground on block, everything looks fine.
-checked inline fuse, good.
-pulled side plastic case off, motor will turn over.
-Tried jumping the points on the solenoid, i did get it to spark and click, but it did not turn the starter
However while testing all of this every once in a while, when i would hook the battery back up. It would turn over and start right up. Then it would kick off and not turn over again. The solenoid would just click.

I wanted to test the wire on the starter to see if it was getting power but I do not have a tester.

I'm thinking it may be the solenoid. It just doesn't seem like power if getting past it.

its a bad battery cable or see if one of your terminal bolts or nuts are stripped. also try taking the seleniod nuts off and clean those connectors before buying new esp. if they are rusted up bad...
Its just a bad connection somewhere man.

Thanks for all your input. After hours of testing and cleaning connections. I've concluded the starter is bad.

Where should I buy a new one? Are the $50 on eBay Amy good?

Local dealer price is over $300!!!

Back