This damn carb....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jasonp said:
snakebyte said:
I was messin with my carb (Z400) on the warrior today.
I went to get a 150 main and 25 pilot.
If you remember before I was 5 turns out on the pilot.
Here is an UPDATE:
Put the 150 main in and the 25 pilot. I turned the mix screw out 1.5 turns thinking this would be enough...NOT. Bike still wopuld not run at idle untill I unscrewed the mix screw out to 3.5 turns. After that I got it to idle Bike wanted more fuel, now it kept on popping throught the carb when you gave it throtttle. UNLESS you gave it full throttle. then it was fine. Only at medium throttle it sputters and dies. So I Put the 155 main back in and it got a littlt better. BUT still sputters so I lifted the needle, again sputtered but ran better at mid throttle, so again I lifted the needle now the needle is at the 5 slot from the top. The bike takes throttle now but still sputtered. WTF.... I told myself OK you want fuel I'll give you fuel I unscrewed the mixture screw out til about 5 turns.
Now the bike runs frigin great, idles nice throttle responce is excellent and full throttle is welllllllllll lets just say my hand was slipery and lost my grip on the handle bars when I hit the throttle.

SO lets recap I have a 25 pilot mix screw is out 5 turns, main is 155 with the clip in the 5 slot from the top.

I will check the plug tomorrow.

fuel screw should only be 3 1/2 turns out max. This is was your problem from the start and no needle adjustments was nessary, so put it back in the middle. Go up a size on the pilot and get with in your 3 1/2 range. Really what I've found is that with my carb anything past 3 1/2 turns doesn't effect the mixture much. Remember 3 circuits all different throttle postion points to tune from. So if you have a problem just above idle don't go up on the main as it will do nothing to effect fuel mixture at that throttle postion.
Pilot circuit first
Main next
then needle.

Funny my mixture screw likes to be more then 3.5 turns cause anything under three it doesnt realy do much.
Maybe my screw is retarded :-/ :)

jasonp said:
no you just have to lean of a pilot jet. . .
full throttle has nothing to do with the needle.
Off idle is all pilot circuit.

Just curious, how would the pilot circuit affect off idle response if it's only used with low throttle?

Back