THICKER OIL ?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewayz

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about changing to a 20w50 oil in the warrior . Since i race it in the heat of the summer , I thought about going with the heavier oil . I dont want to go broke buying crazy expensive oil . I currently use Valvoline ATV ,but I didnt like how watered down and thin it looked last time I checked it . It haddent been in long at all . Any thoughts ? AMSOIL is out of the question and the price range for that matter .

Does oil get thin when hot ? I guessed id start thick and then end up with something better as it gets hot .

yeah your gonna lose some power using thick oil, when i switched from 5w30 to 10w30 i noticed a huge difference.

i run honda's 10w40 in mine, just because you want to run a motorcycle specific oil for quads and dirtbikes, they rev a lot higher then cars, thats why you dont want to use a typical cars oil.

i have the recomended eight and up here in mass we have very hot summers and record setting snowfall winters so i run 10w40 for winter so it starts better and 20w50 in the summer

I used to run Quaker State 20W50 in my street bikes never had a problem and oil consumption went down.I run 10W40 in the Quads.

im runnin extra oil from when i change my trucks oil rotella 15w40. i always end up with extra cause i buy it in big jugs cause my truck takes about 15 quarts. the warrior doesnt mind that oil and doesnt feel like shes lost any power.

To hawkster: the reason standard automotive oil is bad for quads has nothing to do with rpm's, there's cars that rev just as high as any quad out there. The difference is that most quads and motorcycles have a wet clutch that shares the same oil as the engine. Most modern automotive oils have moly and other friction modifiers which fill in all the little pits in the clutch plates which give it friction. After running auto oil for a while the clutch will slip like a greased pig.

Sidewayz: I started running Rotella 15w40 in my quads and motorcycle with no ill effects, no change in power or the way they ran at all. It's about 10 bucks for a gallon of it, lasts way longer than garbage moto oil like valvoline and yamalube, and contains no friction modifiers. People have been running this in motorcycles for a long time, and just recently the JASO MA rating started showing up on the oil jugs, the rating required my most motorcycle manufacturers. I noticed the same thing you are, a bunch of the cheaper oils i've tried were extremely thin and broken down after a few months, my dual sport gets exceptionally hot at times because of idling in traffic with no air flow, and within 400 miles the oil wasn't even dirty but was scary thin, almost like gasoline, so I had to change it. Valvoline was one of the worst, and I have a suspicion that Yamalube and Suzuki's oil is coming from the same plant because it was equally garbage, just more expensive. Silkolene has been the best "budget" oil i've used, but it's increased to nearly $7 a quart here so it's still a pretty premium price for some friggin oil.

I'm not meaning to start a fight because thats usually what happens with oil questions, but that's my 2 cents and take it for what it's worth. I just got the shits of spending 7 bucks a quart for half decent moto oil. Rotella Triple-T for the win!

Back