There is a loose bolt somewhere in my engine...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithd

Reaction score
Ooh the joys of buying used. I just picked up this junker warrior and the valves sounded pretty noisey, so I decided a lash adjustment was in order. Popped off the intake side valve cover to find that the adjustment bolt/stud and nut are not attached. So my valve lash was in the 1/2 range. Niiice. I located the nut with a magnet resting aside the spring, however the bolt is nowhere to be found. Anyone have any idea where it may have gone? Could it have found it's way into the bottom end and possibly been flushed out during a previous oil change. I have yet to change the oil myself.

I'm hesitant about starting to remove things, as if it hasn't caused damage yet, it probably isn't going to, and who knows if I will even be able to find it.

So I'd just like some opinions if I should forget about this rogue bolt or start a massive search and rescue?
Thanks!

There is a valley inside the head under the cam which oil sits.. I bet it's there. There is no way for it to go out to the cam chain side as there is a ball bearing there. There really isn't anyway for it to go through the oil passage in the head bolt as there really isn't much clearance there. It's somewhere in there just keep looking.

How do I get to this valley underneath the cam?

Get a good light... and a small magnet. Take the valve cover off.. you already do I think.. Just look around on the side it came off on. You'll find it. Also if you have to look at an angle and you'll see where all the oil is and you'll also see the cam.

Alright I'll grab an extendable pen magnet and go fishing again tmw and see what I can catch. Otherwise I'm just gonna grab a new screw and call it a day

Success! Removed the camshaft and after a lengthy bout of fishing with a flexible magnet I found the screw deep down the exhaust valve side. Thanks for the help!

Back