Swing arm skids

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dte825

Reaction score
Anybody seen a steel swing arm skid plate for sale? All I can seem to find is aluminium. I spent the weekend screaming through these rocky ass trails in the mountains in PA and I bent the **** out of my aluminium one. Aluminium just cant take that punishment. My chain was rubbing and my brake rotor actually burned all the way through my plate. Funny thing is I never even felt it dragging. Anyway, I need something stronger. I found this one on ebay, but I dont know about it. Never heard of any material like this. What do you guys think? Maybe a machine shop could make me one outof steel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-05-YAMAHA-WARRIOR-350-DURA-BLUE-HAMMER-SKID-PLATE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ020QQitemZ300121555944QQrdZ1

You have to copy the whole link and paste it in your browser. Why does this site do that when you insert a link? Is there a limit to the length that the link can be? I see it all the time on here. I guess it is just a ProBoards thing?

i was sick of going through a skidplate every month and i didnt want a heavy steel one, so i bought that durablue hammerforce. i was very skeptical buying it (not very expensive at all, and looks like a piece of plastic) and then when i got it i was even more skeptical (man, how is this piece of plastic going to hold up?). after bouncing it off of all the crap i could trying to break it, it will not break. i ended up breaking one skidplate bolt and bending the other, so i believe it is plenty strong enough. there is a small amount of give to it, so its not completely rigid, but i think that was part of the design. so for me, so far so good after at least 10 hard rides on it.
my brother just got a DG swinger skid and the weld cracked on the first ride...POS!

I found this one on ebay, but I dont know about it. Never heard of any material like this. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-05-YAMAHA-WARRIOR-350-DURA-BLUE-HAMMER-SKID-PLATE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ020QQitemZ300121555944QQrdZ1

You could call Urethane a plastic it looks and seems similar. It is very tough. Like the previous post it can take a beating, obviously more than aluminum or steel..
I didnt know that they made skid plates out of urethane though.. very cool...

i think mine is a DG..not sure thought i didnt put it on there..its holding up great but now i have to cut it b/c i bought a cascade chain guide that is to big.

Here are some pictures of my skid plate after the ride this past sunday. Check out the grooves where my chain and roor were rubbing. Keep in mind that the skid plate almost looked brand new when the day started.
skidplate002.jpg

skidplate001.jpg

I'm gonna try that Urethane job and see how it does. Either that or learn how to ride and stop hitting rocks! ;D

^^^What the hell areyou riding in? :eek: That much damage on a new plate...that's ridiculous. Have you thought about trying a thicker plate? Look into PRM. I've used a lot of their products and have been very happy with them. I haven't used them, but I've heard their skids for the swingarm are supposed to be some of the toughest. Not sure if I would put a plastic skid on the bottom. I think that would break given the damage it did to your skid.
Or maybe you just needed some 22 in tires for extra ground clearance, cause it looks like you need all the help you can get. lol
Just my $.02.

Shiver me timbers that is one beat up skid. Did you ride through a mine field? The trick is to hit the rock with your tire. The plastic seems like a great idea and I can't wait to see what you think of it.

I've got a PRM skid plate and its one of the best investments i've ever bought for the bike. thing is thick as hell and strong as hell.

here is a picture of my durablue hammerforce urethane skidplate. you can only see scratches on the apex of the bend, and this is after purposely bouncing it off of about 20 rocks, some of which i KNEW had damaged, bent, or broken skids in the past. theres barely a mark on there considering what i put it through. like i said before, it snapped or bent the bolts holding it on there, but it still served its purpose.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w282/lucasislight/DSC00086.jpg
p.s.- blackNred- holy **** dude. i have had skids like that after 5 rides, not one! i love it

I got a UM skid off ebay, there constructed well and has held up but I mostly ride in the sand, the first ride was in the mountains were it got it beating.

Nice skidplate, looks like you were riding in PA..lol. I've mentioned the plastic skids before on here and everybody thought I was crazy. I have a buddy with one and it's held up surprisingly well. I still don't know if I'd be bold enough to buy one, but like I said it's held up much better than you'd think.

Something else to consider....try GT Thunder for the sprocket rings they sell. That way you don't need an actual skidplate and your sprocket is protected.

DAMN!! BlackNred you did a hell of a job on that skid. I thought I beat mine up pretty good but you beat me. You have to learn to avoid rocks, skidplates last much longer that way.

My DG has held up fine for me for the last 5 years and i bought it used. Honestly though..... not many skids would hold up to that sort of punishment. Even a prm would show some abuse. Thats actually getting to the point where your snapping bolts off and bending stuff. I ride in pa all the time and i dont have a problem. Im also running 20's so maybe it would just be better to try and avoid the stuff where you can. However i dont know your riding area, so it might be unavoidable.

Back