Suspension is beating me up on the trails

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjay

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2001 warrior from a friend. Anyways I mostly do trail riding on some pretty rocky trails which I know isnt the primary design of a warrior.The suspension is betting the crap out of me every time I go out. I have been doing some reading on switching to banshee shocks but seem to hear mixed things some people say they are softer others say they are stiffer than stock. Im 190 lbs and all I know after an hour of riding I am beat. Im wondering what I can do to soften up the ride a bit. I currently have 20" tires in the rear that need to be replaced would switching back to stock 22" tires help at all? Any suggestions on suspension?

I would say 22s in front and 22s or 23s in the back. I have some 23s I run occasionally and it will turn em, but I wouldn't recommend them for climbing any steep hills. If you're doing rocks, a softer setup may be the way to go.

From what I've gathered banshee shocks aren't really much better then our stock shocks just a bit, at least the front. I've seen several mention that the rear banshee shock on the other hand is a great shock. I'm not sure if this is everyones view? I've just seen it mentioned this way a few times. Of course because it's a great shock doesn't mean it's softer, that part I'm not sure.

Warrior shocks and Banshee shocks are the same length eye to eye. I'm not sure what yamaha has them valved at, but the banshee shocks are progressive rate while the warriors are standard rate springs. The Warriors should be stiffer in stock form, I'm not positive, but that is what I have heard.

It is not that you want to soften the ride, it is that you want the suspension to work for your application. The banshee rear shock is a great improvement, and does not require much modification to the air box. Front shocks, your best bet is finding a good used set of works shocks. The initial cost will be more, but your body will thank you which makes it worth it.

Back