Suspension for an 87

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so i can take the uppers off my 99 and use those with LT lowers for a 400ex? If so that saves alot of money not buying uppers

Ok that makes more sense with getting +2 uppers. I agree with the stock arms, the ones on my 87 look alot stronger then my 99's. If i were to keep stock arms i will for sure gusset them.

Okay. My turn to contribute. I have a thread on here from the summer when I made my uppers. I had a stock upper arm fold on me while riding, so I made my own. I was going to make my own +2s this time around while I'm restoring my bike, but don't feel like it, and don't have the money for longer shocks. The geometry is not that bad, really. Use heim style balljoints like I did, and you will be able to adjust the camber using the upper balljoint. WOOT! The caster is what is "tricky". Getting the measurement is not hard. Proping up the hub and knuckle is the bitch. I measured from the front of my foot pegs to the center of the upper balljoints before I tore the front end apart. I came up with 25" both sides. Just need to keep the the hub/knuckle propped up to keep the balljoint center right there and you're pretty much golden. PUT THE NEW BALL JOINT IN THE KNUCKLE WHEN YOU DO IT!!!

Flipped rims work great, and give you pretty much the same thing as +2 arms. I run WORKS AT Steelers up front, and the bike feels great. I'm selling the uppers W/OUT balljoints for $125 shipped.

Can you post pics of the arms?
Looking at everything today i could make my own arms if i want to spend the time on it. Without shocks i cycled about 8 1/2in of travel with stock arms, which isnt bad.

My lt with shocks cycles11.75 in front....

Either way its a good setup, I find flipped wheels makes it twitchy but deffinently better then stock!

If you go LT hit me up I can save you much head ache on it if you go that rout.

Good luck to ya!

My lt with shocks cycles11.75 in front....

Either way its a good setup, I find flipped wheels makes it twitchy but deffinently better then stock!

If you go LT hit me up I can save you much head ache on it if you go that rout.

Good luck to ya!

Thanks, im gonna run it as is for now and get some miles on it before i start upgrading the suspension. I will for sure hit you up when i do go LT. Just have to get all the bugs worked out of a quad thats sat for the past 8yrs first before i really do anything. My next main project for it is change the clutch and just make it reliable enough to race in april if i dont race before then.

I completely understand! Ive got a race in just over a week and I have lost spark, good luck dude, anything I can do to help let me know.

That sucks you lost spark so close to your race, hope you get it all taken care of. If anything comes up i'll for sure ask away lol. Ive pretty much got the bugs worked out but for some reason last week i had a sputter when i'd go through whoops and havent been able to duplicate the problem. Not sure if its the carb out of adjustment for where i was riding or what.

Back