stripped stud bolts.........

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjim0214

Reaction score
i have three stripped stud bolts ( 1 on each tire,,,,,,mf'er :argh:) any suggestions to getting them off???? i going to check n see if i can get studs at auto store, if i cant get them, i wanna save the stud, i knew this was a problem, i had already bought a whole box of nuts lol.
oh yea , i already did the normal things,,,i.e. smaller sockets, spraying n such

i have three stripped stud bolts ( 1 on each tire,,,,,,mf'er :argh:) any suggestions to getting them off???? i going to check n see if i can get studs at auto store, if i cant get them, i wanna save the stud, i knew this was a problem, i had already bought a whole box of nuts lol.
oh yea , i already did the normal things,,,i.e. smaller sockets, spraying n such
So is the stud itself stripped, or is the nut just rounded off?

ahhh sorry bout that, the nut is WELL rounded, as far as i know the studs should be good. i was using a 12 pt. like an ass, like i said, i knew i had this problem, but wasn't expecting this dilemma.

Rounded lugnuts? JK. Try a cold chisel if you have enough room. IDK if you know what I mean but put the chisel edge on the side of the nut so it starts to cut a groove when you hit it and try to drive/turn the nut with the hammer and chisel. Sorry if I don't make sense.

you need a set of these they will remove any stripped or rounded off bolt or nut

2013-01-24225358.jpg

2013-01-24225415.jpg

You need a damaged nut extractor... You can get them everywhere, and their fairly cheap..
I picked up a 5pc set the other day at Napa for $15 bucks.

I've even used these on stripped out Philips screw heads and they back them out with no probs the bolt doesn't even need a head for these to work best socket set ever!

****, how do you multi quote, i clicked on 2 and nothing showed up........anyway, yes i understand cold chisel, also my 3 in cut-off tool, but im trying to salvage studs and im sure to **** them up going that route, anyway ill get a similiar set of those ed, thanks, Irwin into sockets? i thought they were mostly carpentry. i dont have any auto zones near me, im sure my auto store will rape me, where else might i find them???????

don't know Jim I got mine at Advance and they were $39.99 so they ain't cheep but they are worth it

Not just carpentry,,, i work at a shop and Snap-on, matco, cornwell all sell them and every autoparts store sells them,, yes they are the **** but me being a welder i just tack a nut to the old one and heat it and turn it off but heat only the nut, if you heat up the stud it WILL twist and brake off..Get the nut extractors Ed posted!!! hell can prolly get them at Lowes and Homedepo too...

Not just carpentry,,, i work at a shop and Snap-on, matco, cornwell all sell them and every autoparts store sells them,, yes they are the **** but me being a welder i just tack a nut to the old one and heat it and turn it off but heat only the nut, if you heat up the stud it WILL twist and brake off..Get the nut extractors Ed posted!!! hell can prolly get them at Lowes and Homedepo too...

i was thinking/hoping HOMEY might have them, dunno,, never looked.....****, i was just at harbor freight wed. too.......oh well
i gotta welder but it a ****** tight spot, especially with flipped rims

You should see all the "twist off" sockets we have like Hauler posted. Good stuff. Many times you can beat a size smaller metric or sae socket on and get em to turn loose, too.

Jim you shouldn't be putting your nuts on that tight in the first place man! lol jmwy

Back