Stripped drain plug

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gy67

Reaction score
Got my stator replaced and the quad seems to run great but I ran into a problem when trying to change the oil. I flipped the quad on it's side and found the drain plug was stripped. I tried grabbing it with a pair of vice grips but found there really isn't much material to grab on to. Does anyone have any advise on how to get the plug out?

Hammer and chisel as a last resort maybe one of those stripped blot extractors from sears. I did that with some old rusted on lug nuts on my blaster once.

put a nut on it then tack wield it on fronm the inside of it. Use a wrench on the nut to remove the bolt, don't use impact gun or anything that might snap the wield. thats how I got my broken exhuast studs out. Should work for you.

a grinder/file and socket a cople sizes smaller will work becareful not to go to small the plug is hallow

hellbound racing sells a aftermarket drainplug that has alot mor mattireal for the socket to grab onto

i usually use a striped bolt exstractor or just take my lil 1/4 die grinder cut a small slot for a straight screw driver and it usually comes out just fine

I had the very same problem. Hammer and Chizel did the trick for me. I would be very interested to get a new aftermarket plug, but I looked at the hellbound website and didnt see anything. Anyone got a link?

hammer and sharp chissle to cut a grove in the outer evge and them a dull chisle to spin it out in the grove that you cut

Have this happen with bolts many times and the bolt extractor from sears works awesome! Find the right size...tap it on with a hammer and simply use a ratchet wrench!! Its nice to have a set of those around anyway... im always findin a use for them!

The drain plug is too shallow for a extractor it will go through it. Best thing to do has been mentioned get a 6 sided socket thats just a tad smaller and tap it carefully on with a hammer and it will come off, then make sure you have a new one to go back in. I had to do this twice on mine then got a new drain plug.

I had to find a socket that almost fit, then i beat it on with a hammer and used a half inch impact gun to get it out .... then replaced with new plug of course!

I had to find a socket that almost fit, then i beat it on with a hammer and used a half inch impact gun to get it out .... then replaced with new plug of course!

Half inch impact! holy cow it must have been on there awful tight, when I did mine like that I just use a 3/8 rachett

Drain plugs don't have to be that tight, snug it up and give it a quarter turn.

Back