Still wont start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinky0099

Reaction score
My bike still wont start. If you look back there is a old tread on this. I tried all suggestions and more. The stator is new. I swapped the coil with a good one from a buddies warrior same with the starter. Still no good, ohmed out the wire from the cdi to the coil its good. The bike will start right up if push started but will not start up on its own. I heard about wires wearing on the frame by the cdi where exactly does this happen at? Any help would be great. Ive had this bike for almost three years and it has never started Could increased compression cause this problem? I have no clue what the previous owner did to this quad he said he was riding it and every ting was fine next day he went to start it and it wouldn't start. Which makes me think it's electrical. Do you think it could be timing? Maybe he advanced it by a tooth could that cause it? Sorry for the long post but I'm so tired of this problem I need to get this fixed. I really can't afford to take it to the service dept. at the stealership Thanks for the help Josh

Have you checked the compression? If it starts with a push and continues to run the one would have to think its the electrical system somewhere! If the plug is good, coil good, starter solenoid good, cdi good , voltage regulator good, new stator and no chewed wires then I'm baffled. Ive heard that the parking brake sensor could cause problems aswell.

Does the 01 have a parking brake sensor? My bike never had one since I bought it just a aftermarket clutch lever. And compression is good 125 if I remember right. Could the regulator cause a hard start? I haven't checked it out yet. I'll have to do that next chance I get

this might sound stupid but have you tried a different battery? Maybe the battery doesn't quite have enough oompf to make spark. I've seen it happen on street bikes before. Also have you checked your pickup coils?

My next best guess is the CDI. The thing is the warrior and other bikes use two different coils for starting and runing. The CDI is using these coils as timing when to fire the plug. My first guess is always the starting coil which I believe is called the source... I would make sure the new one you got is good, ohm it out. Then make sure that wire from that coil is good from the coil to the CDI. . if the wire is good, I'd say your going to have to replace the CDI.

If you have an aftermarket clutch, look behind your lights in the pile of wires. I no longer have my warrior but i think the wires you are looking for are black/yellow and a black?? Connect them and that should solve the parking brake sensor problem if they are not already connected. If it came with that same clutch than surely the wires were connected. Just look in the pile of wires and make sure all wires are connected.

Yeah those wires are connected they where for the clutch switch. I looked in my Clymer manual and there is supposed to be a parking brake switch to I'll have to look next time I go to my storage unit and work on my bike

OK new edit I worked on my bike again today and realized I was ohming out the wrong brown wire at the cdi end of the harness cause I'm a idiot so anyways I still dont know whats wrong but this is what I've found the green wire going to the reverse lever switch is hooked up to the ground wire going to the switch also. This should be telling the cdi the bike is in reverse and activating the rev limiter shouldnt it? The cdi was replaced with a known good one so I have a hard time thinking that could be causing my no spark. The green wire from the lever feeds into the neutral relay so my question is can a bad neutral relay cause no spark?? I havent hade the time to test the relay yet. Thanks for any help Josh

I wonder if it's the on/off switch on the handle bars. i would check that.. The reverse or parking brake wouldn't cause a no spark.

You pretty much replaced everything but that and it's in the circuit so if it's not the on/off handle bar switch then for sure there's a wire that broke.

Back