steering stem challenge

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballs818

Reaction score
Months ago i broke my inner ball joint and it seemed to bend the eyelit on the stem a little. I replaced the joint with a brand new piece and had no huge effect as far as i could tell. Earlier today i landed hard off a jump and the same joint busted again. I assume its because of the stem having a bend in it that made it easier.
My question is, should i buy a new lonestar stem @ $280 or just stick with oem an dget a stronger tie rod package?

I assume you're talking about your tie rod ends breaking, not your actual ball joints, right?

I'd just get a used stock steering stem, but then again, I don't roll over very often. If it's something you do a lot you may benefit from an aftermarket one.

First I would try to save the stock one though, I don't see why you couldn't bend it back with some heat and leverage. How in the world would you bend that though? I used a bent stock stem as a demolition hammer and it proved to be impressively stronger than a 1988 Nissan Pulsar, I can't imagine what you would have to do to bend that tab while it's mounted on the machine, it's gotta be 10 times as strong as the stock tie rod ends.

New rods and ends is a good investment. Take some advice from me though, it took me a couple tries and a bunch of wasted cash before I found anything worth my time and money. The best way to go is with a good set of stock style 12mm rods and ends. It'll be 3 times as strong as the stock ones and reliable. At all costs avoid anything branded Tusk, or anything from TrailTrackSand.com, same garbage. The Honda style rods and ends aren't worth it, standard 12mm ones are just as strong and cost less. You shouldn't have to spend more than $100 for a good set, I bought a set for my buddy's warrior a few months ago, American Star Racing (ASR) sells the 12mm kit on ebay for about $90 with free shipping. I have no complaints about the kit except the rods don't have a flat spot to hold them with a wrench, so you need to use something along the line of pliers or vice grips to hold them while you tighten the lock nuts. Years ago the 12mm kit I bought on eBay from a different seller had stainless rods instead of steel, and had flats on the rods so they could be held by a wrench. They were the same price and a little nicer, if you look hard enough you may be able to find them.

I seen the kit from ASR, And am currently 'watching' it. I hit a curved jump and didnt see the tree around the bend. I clipped it with my right tire pretty hard and then land even harder, smashing my chest. Looking back it was pretty funny, but it did hurt for several weeks.
but any how thats how the end of the stem bent. the right tie rod end hole sags lower than the left side

Back