Stator swap help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshwfl

Reaction score
I have a 98 with the three plug (D style)stator that's shot. A buddy has a stator from an 02-04 that's a 2 plug. Is there a way to install that stator in my bike and splice my plugs onto it?

i have no idea on how that would work, but if i were you i dont think i would try splicing a different stator in. it might cause problems for everything and i just dont think it would be worth it. i think you can pick up a brand new stator for $150 or go ebay but that also has its risks. but in IMHO, i would not do that. just my .02

I think I'm going with the RM stator/cdi package, just wondered if it would work for a short term fix. This was supposed to be a buddy bike for tomorrows ride.

yea i think that would be a good way to go. sorry i couldnt help ya much but thats the way i would go to be on the safe side. hope ya get it going soon. let us know when ya do.

If you look at the wiring diagrams for the specific years you can use those to compare what needs to go where based on the color codes on the wires. Not all stators have the same number of wires though, and those aren't easily interchangable if they have different wire counts. The wiring colors are different among most of the years, so you have to get wiring diagrams for each specific year though.

Why the RM stator and CDI package? Unless there's something wrong with your stock CDI, there's no reason to replace it, and i'd prefer a stock one over the cheap aftermarket ones. The aftermarket ones really don't change the power curve, and are notorious for self-destructing and causing other problems (when the battery voltage is anything less than perfect it won't spark). The Dyna CDI's are the only good aftermarket ones in my humble opinion, and they're a little salty.

I compared the wiring diagrams and they have different specs as far as resistance, so I imagine I would need to swap the CDI and possibly flywheel.

I've done some research and found better reviews for RM and Ricky Stator over stock. Quite a few I've read said the stock are absolute crap. Give me some input here guys who have tried various brands.

i have a ricky stator in mine for 5 years now with no problems, but my brother has one too, and it went bad within a year, but they did replace it under the one year warranty and the replacement is still going. thats the only experience i have.

Honestly, I think stators on warriors are just a gamble. I don't know why, but yamahas, and specifically warriors, seem to have more stator trouble than other machines. Sometimes all you have to do is just look at a warrior funny and the stator quits.

I don't think the stock ones are necessarily crap, because my 2001 still has the stock stator in it, and when I got it the entire machine was pretty well neglected and beat up and the stator still survived. I've seen mixed reviews from every stator out there that I can think of, stock and aftermarket. If it was me, I would probably try to get a used stock one on ebay. I like to follow the logic that if it survived for 15 years it'll probably last 15 more. Usually when I follow that logic I do alright.

i have a ricky in mine and havent had any issues other than it eats batteries more than a stock one, at least thats what i think is causing it anyhow. no complaints though

keglassgow said:
i have a ricky in mine and havent had any issues other than it eats batteries more than a stock one, at least thats what i think is causing it anyhow. no complaints though

If it is eating batterys I would check the charging voltage and if off change the regulator.. rectifier.

Back