Starts on compression but...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doobyboy26

Reaction score
Hi i think I found half of my problem ! I got my ATV pulled by neighbour truck and put it in 4th gear let go of the clutch and it started almost immediately !

I then went for a little spin with it and when i got home I slowly let go of the throttle on neutral and the Quad died and wouldn't start again unless we started it with my neighbours truck.

Last ride I was on, I remember my K&N air filter had fallen off probably because of vibration. Could dust be clogging up one of my hoses or something and that's why it dies at low RPM's ? Thanks

Hi i think I found half of my problem ! I got my ATV pulled by neighbour truck and put it in 4th gear let go of the clutch and it started almost immediately !

I then went for a little spin with it and when i got home I slowly let go of the throttle on neutral and the Quad died and wouldn't start again unless we started it with my neighbours truck.

Last ride I was on, I remember my K&N air filter had fallen off probably because of vibration. Could dust be clogging up one of my hoses or something and that's why it dies at low RPM's ? Thanks

I doubt any amount of dust collected on you ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine its the stator going bad. Usually what causes this issue. Test it.

I had this same problem when i fixed my starter clutch turned over fine but wouldent start. Pull started it and it ran fine but wouldent idle. My problem was my carb and airbox. Took the carb apart and cleaned it real good put it back together and it was still the same with no airbox. Played with the air/fuel and idle screw and it got alot better now it starts up just fine with an airbox but has the hardest time starting without one. Also did you ride it for long or just for a minute or two? I rode mine for about 15 minutes when i got it started and as soon as i shut it down i started it back up

My bet is on a pilot jet or pickup coil. My bike did this and it was a bad pickup coil, but as stated above, once my bike was at op temp it started fine. clean your carb jets esp pilot and go from there!

^ Yup, if the boot came off it exposed the pilot circuit in the bell of the carb. That could have caused out to pick up dirt and clog that tiny circuit. Will it start if you crack the throttle?

Electrical wise if the charge on the battery is low it will crank over but not start, they need close to 11v to even bump off. I've had this issue personally. Put a charger on it and see if it starts, if it don't, look into cleaning the carb.

^ Yup, if the boot came off it exposed the pilot circuit in the bell of the carb. That could have caused out to pick up dirt and clog that tiny circuit. Will it start if you crack the throttle?

Electrical wise if the charge on the battery is low it will crank over but not start, they need close to 11v to even bump off. I've had this issue personally. Put a charger on it and see if it starts, if it don't, look into cleaning the carb.

Ok ill recharge my battery and clean out the carb ! Hope it works out ! Thankx ! Cause we where a bunch riding in a graveled and sandy rode ! So if my K&N airfilter had fallen off it might have sucked in some dust ! I'll keep you guys posted !

Back