Starting problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdy_sohc

Reaction score
I am having some starting problems with my Warrior. When you try to start it the engine barely turns over at first and then it starts to pick up some speed, but really never fast enough to start it quick. Takes several minutes to get it to start.

So far I have put a new battery and starter in. I have also cleaned all the connections and grounds. Even hooking it up to a 55 amp engine start does not change the speed of the engine turning over. Once I finally get it running it runs great!

What action do you guys think I should take next?

have ya tried jumping the solenoid? if not try that and if it works better ya should replace the solenoid. i mean the solonoid could just going and ya need to replace it. other than that can ya post a video of you trying to start it so i can hear if there are any unusual noises? cause the starter clutch could be the problem. have you had past clunking noises when starting?

I will get a video later today. I have not tried jumping the solenoid yet. I figured that would be one of them items that was either good or bad. Every now and again I will get a clunk.

Jumping the solenoid did not help it any also, still stayed the same

I just hate to tear into it and replace the one way bearing and it not be it. It acts if its a super high compression engine

what is the compression? i think that something is wrong with the starter clutch. my theory is that the gears between the flywheel and the starter clutch could be FUCKED! but while you are in there you could replace the timing chain too!

Every nearly worn out starter clutch I've ever heard makes a clunking noise, which is not what i hear in this video. Its really not hard to get that side cover off and see how well the flywheel is catching on the starter clutch.

I need to find me a compression tester to see what I am at. I the guy I bought it from said it was a stroker engine but had no paperwork to prove it.

So I would just pull the cover off and spin the flywheel to see if it is going out or missing any teeth?

Before you do that check your grounds.
My starter clutch failed and mine wouldn't turn over, the starter just spun.
Did you just get this bike?
Has it ever ran?
Did the problem just start?

A quick way to check the starter ground, take your jumper cable and clamp it to the starter case and ground terminal on the battery. Hit the start button, what happens.

Another way to eliminate the electrical circuit is:
Clamp the pos jumper cable to the terminal on the starter
Clamp the negative onto the starter housing
Clamp the other neg end on the battery
Touch the pos end to the pos battery
What happens?

I have had it about four months, it does run. I have put a decent amount of miles on it. It just has a slow start on it. It literally takes about 5 minutes to start it. I have cleaned every connection and cleaned the ground. I will try some of your methods today and see what I come up with

If you take the starter out you can check the starer clutch. Just stick your finger in the starter hole and see if the gear spins in one direction and not the other.

Hooking the battery directly to the starter and still did the slow start. Even hooked my brothers warrior battery to it and it did the same thing

i still think the teeth on the gears are f**ked and thats creating this problem

It could very well be a stroker. If it is a stoker by powroll, fst, or cwr, the cranks are heavier, and have more rotating mass. About the only thing you can do is to use a battery with a higher Cold Cranking Amps rating.

Back