Starting Problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Yamaha Warrior for $450. The guy said it only needed an ignition coil. I knew who he was so I took his word for it. And guess what. I got fooled. So I started doing more work on it.

The ignition coil is brand new and so is the CDI box.
Spark plug is fine but I will be getting a new one soon anyway.
I cleaned the carb and it looks sweet.
But it still won't start.

Any suggestions?

There are two small wires that aren't plugged into anything, could that have anything to do with it?

This thing is far from good condition. I didn't look everything over on it until I already bought it (Won't do that again.) Lots of things have been rigged up.

Getting spark, pretty sure It's getting fuel. How do I test for compression?

I will get pics on tomorrow of the wires. One is a red one towards the rear, I don't have a tail light so could it do to that? And another way is attached to the bottom on the motor.

Best way is to use a compression tester. But since you don't have one, take the plug out and put your thumb over the hole, press down pretty hard. Crank it over and if it blows your thumb off the hole you have good compression. Not exactly accurate, but a test nontheless. If your thumb barely lifts off the hole you have weak compression.

if you are getting good compression drop a tiny bit of fuel into the jug and tire and start her if it starts ya got carb problems.

could be the carb, my problem was it looked perfect inside and out, but believed there was built up crap all thru the main body of the carbitself, but change the sparkplug,make sure your carb boot dont have a split or a hole in it, and then check to see if the spark is strong enough

that wire attatched to the bottom of the motor i think needs to be connected. There should be a hole in the left side case cover where that goes in

I'll test the compression once I get home from school.

Put a tiny bit of fuel into what? Jug and tire?

My carb boot just recently got a decent size split in it, but I was told it should still start? Even when it wasn't cracked it didn't start. Seems to have enough spark, but it could be better...

I looked in a service manual and it says that, that wire is the Neutral switch lead?

I'll test the compression once I get home from school.

Put a tiny bit of fuel into what? Jug and tire?

My carb boot just recently got a decent size split in it, but I was told it should still start? Even when it wasn't cracked it didn't start. Seems to have enough spark, but it could be better...

I looked in a service manual and it says that, that wire is the Neutral switch lead?
take the spark plug out and
Put a tiny bit of fuel into the spark plug hole and put the plug back in and see if she fires off if it does then it's a carb issue

right now any good gas just to see if it will fire off quick
and you will need to get a new intake boot cause a tear will make it run lean and you could burn up the valves and piston

There is literally no store where I live that sells gas without ethenal in it. Wheres the best place to get a intake boot online? No ATV stores where I live..

There is literally no store where I live that sells gas without ethenal in it. Wheres the best place to get a intake boot online? No ATV stores where I live..
ebay just make sure it is a genuine Yamaha part I think they are like $35 to $40 thats where I got mine for my 92
and for the gas just get 93 and pick up a bottle of STA-BIL gas stabilizer it prevents the effects of ethenal

if you are getting good compression drop a tiny bit of fuel into the jug and tire and start her if it starts ya got carb problems.

sorry about the tire part was little tired and think spell check said hi to me also. take pics of the wires and we might be able to point you in the right way.

Alright. Thanks a lot for all the help.

Any ideas about the wiring?
if it's a red wire it would not be for the tail light the tail light wires are black and blue. What gauge wire is it red usually means power for something maybe check the cdi box in the back here are some pics of my 02 if it helps
2012-03-15115233-1.jpg
2012-03-15115246.jpg

[/attach]

I don't know how to make the pictures big like you did but you can still see it pretty good. The red one goes to the celeonoid in your picture. Could that be why it won't start? And I'm pretty sure the black one on the bottom of my motor is called the "Neutral switch lead" Looked it up in a manual. Where does it plug in though?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Warr...ies&hash=item2ebc3e948f&vxp=mtr#ht_3659wt_956

That'll work for my Warrior right?

Attachments

• 917cf3bd6fff_4b7a71ed-e131-4af9-a116-da84b03597b5.jpg
    917cf3bd6fff_4b7a71ed-e131-4af9-a116-da84b03597b5.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 13
  • bb4c505495ce_77f61db8-480d-4368-b435-89fa62b3f916.jpg
    bb4c505495ce_77f61db8-480d-4368-b435-89fa62b3f916.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back