starting problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior333

Reaction score
my quad will start but then when i ride for a bit it wont do anything like tunr over or make a click noise nothing but if i turn the key on and off and hold the start button in it will start eventually i have a new battery with a full charge any ideas

click noise once means starter solonoid is working correctly. Chatter is low battery. Sounds like you are getting the single click. Probably need new brushes in the starter.

Try here - they are way cheaper than oem kit

http://www.hyperparts.com/atvstarters.htm

i dont get anything then when i do its the chater then it starts or goes back to nothing it just depends

I'd go through and check all your power connections. The ground cable at the battery and where it connects to the frame, the positive cable at the battery and solenoid, and the starter cable at the solenoid and starter. Take them off, clean them until they're nice and shiny with some sandpaper, then tighten them back up (not too tight, battery termninals break easy) and see what happens.

the positive cabels are new i just put them on but ill do all that tmr thanx

check the pins on the key switch assembly to see if there not farked up and anything else obvious,it could be working improperly

have you tested the key switch with a multimeter? its easy, set the multimeter to ohms, unplug the key switch and stick the multimeter prongs in to the connector on the KEY SIDE. when you turn the key to "on" the multimeter should read zero. if it does, the key switch is good and your problem is elsewhere. start with that and maybe you can eliminate one possibility.

along with what has been mentioned by the others:

try jumping across the 2 posts on the solonoid - that will bypass most everything. If that doesn't work, try a jumper cable from the positive battery directly to the starter post (don't ground out on the frame with the tight space by the starter). That will bypass everything.

Let us know what works and doesn't work

i know the touching the starter solenoid prongs together works bbut i didnt have time to mes with it tonight ill do it tmr

check the pins on the key switch assembly to see if there not farked up and anything else obvious,it could be working improperly

what do you mean about the pins and farked up?

have you tested the key switch with a multimeter? its easy, set the multimeter to ohms, unplug the key switch and stick the multimeter prongs in to the connector on the KEY SIDE. when you turn the key to "on" the multimeter should read zero. if it does, the key switch is good and your problem is elsewhere. start with that and maybe you can eliminate one possibility.

so i unhook the key switch under the hood

if so i tested that and got .01 so i think that it is good anything else

im pretty sure its fixed my ground line was melted thro so i replaced it ran the new one thro the plastic bolts on the top to keep it away from the exhaust hopefuly it will work

Back