Starting issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanxj

Reaction score
Ok so this has been going on for quite some time now. I bought a new starter and installed it same thing. Cleaned my carb, just ordered a rebuild kit. could use it anyway.

now the problem, my quad will not start it can sit there and turn over and over and wont start. If i hook it up to my truck it will start some times. But now if i have someone pull me and dump the clutch in 3rd gear it will fire right up every time!!!!!!!! and after that it starts easier but still starts hard.

any ideas? im getting a little lost here and wanna ride without a tow strap lol

Sounds like one of the pickups went bad... warrior has two ignition pickup coils...one for starting and one for running .. i think you can change them individually but i ended up changing the whole stator assembly which comes with everything

Yeah if you can solder, those pickup coils are like $15 versus $150 for the stator, its worth it unless you want a bigger stator for the purpose of more output or something....

huh ok were are they located? anybody have a write up or some pics as to putting a new pickup in?

They are inside the engine case on the left side ... if you look you will see a wire loom coming out of the cover on that side .. im not sure if its covered in the tutorial section here or not...best bet would be to pick up a good shop manual .. it should show you all you need in there

one thing is i know i have spark. dont know if that would eliminate the pickup or not?

Coil is shone here on the far right of the case.

P2090138.jpg

if it was bad i wouldnt have spark correct?

it costed me $15.00 to have the local Yami shop test my stator and pick up coil. And they tested ohms and charging volts/amps.

Depending on how bad it is, you could still have spark, just I'd be very weak.

ok its been a while since i checked the spark. ill do it again and see how strong/weak it is.

Probly start out with a new battery.

didnt check spark, but pulled airbox. And when i tried to start, it i put my hand over the intake a bit. (seemed to help it wanna run) But there was a fair amount of gas getting on my hand??????

is that right? doesnt seem like it

yeah thats right. If you cup the back of the carb, it will dump into your hand.

ok so i rebuilt the carb (minus pilot jet, gonna put the new one in tonight, didnt have a small enough screw driver)

put a new battery in and it still starts like a b@!*h

i pulled the plug and put it up to the block and had spark.

Any ideas. Maybe a adjustment on the carb??

by the way specs on the quad are supertrapp ids2 exhuast and a k&n clamp on with prefilter and no air box. 150 jet.

any ideas?

thanks

is there a way to check the stator?

also my gf's warrior is a 94, will the stator off that work on mine? if so i can pull that off and see if its the problem.

Back