starter oil grounding?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike75925

Reaction score
is this a common problem on the yfm series? i've ran into it a few times on other machines, and forgot all about it on my warrior. since it has plenty of spark, fuel and comp, it very well could be mica build-up, or oil on the brushes. i'll be pulling mine down to check.

it is more common on 2 smokes, but, i guess it can happen on a no smokes. when the starter is mounted below the crankcase, sometimes oil will seep in and ground out the starter. it will act like a weak batt/starter. sorry about the lengthy interval, but haven't had the money to fix my pos yfm.

how do you know you have plenty of spark, fuel, and compression if you cant get the starter to spin? (possible you are pull starting?)

either way i would say that oil seeping into your starter is not the reason it wont turn over.... its probably a dead battery or a bad ground

it, the starter spins, but sometimes does not want to. battery had 12.5~13.5V. grounds are all good. no matter where i ohm to/from, it ohms.

Back