Starter hard spot!!!! help!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is 100 percent starter clutch had 2 go out at the same time when you have it apart check the ideler gear and make sure its not eat up bad and lock tite the bolts in the flywheel when you put it together

definetly the starter clutch x2 on what duneracer said

oh yea and dont get an oem starter clutch, if you can avoid it. get an aftermarket one

I have a 01 yamaha warrior and i put it in the shop recently for a no spark problem, and when i got it back and fixed, i tried to turn it over but when it got to the compression stroke it seems or just a random spot it the starter whines and slows down for a few seconds and then turns over once, i could sometimes get it started by letting it turn over a few times and it would fire on up and run like a champ. so i bought a new starter and put it on and it helped, barely. it just made it turn over slightly better but it still whines pretty badly. also when i take the spark plug out it turns over perfectly. plzz leave any suggestions!! thx

If it didn't have this problem before fixing the no spark issue, which I'm guessing it was because of the stator and is on the same side as the starter one way. They may have fucked something up on that side of the engine when trying to fix this problem, I would take it back to them if it didn't do so before this.
While I don't believe it to be the actual one way so much more like one of the gears or needles bearings and thrust washer is worn or not installed right.. I would just take that side of the engine off to check it out.

Ima gonna have to disagree with you jasonp there is no washers on that side of the motor and for any gears to break or mess up it would have to bust a case and then it wouldn't even turn the motor its deffinently a starter clutch that's out and they don't do it off and on it a all of a sudden thing and once it starts it dosent stop untill it gets changed and that's the only thing that could b wrong inside that cover

I believe there is indeed a washer on that side, a big flat one. I put a starter clutch in mine last year. But his starter is working against something because a free spinning starter sounds a lot different than that. Hate to get on a tangent here but one more thing, starter clutches aren't necessarily a "sudden thing". I took mine off, it went back to locking after I got it off in my hands, put it back on, cranked right up, the first time it stalled out, went to crank it...whiiizzzzz went the starter, it was slipping again, not catching it all. So only then I was forced to order a new one.

Last edited:
i changed the stator my self and im positive i did it right, no obstructions or washers and if its possible could i get a step by step on replacing the starter clutch beacuse ive never done one, i know basic steps but any particular things to watch out for and such, also will i need to torque the flywheel nut after installation

Last edited:
there used to be a tutorial on here cause thats how I learned how to get into mine.

do you have a fly wheeler puller? torx sockets? and a toque wrench ?

before you change it you should check it by pulling the starter, stator cover and starter idler gear and see if the fly wheel gear will spin by hand if not pull the rotor/fly wheel off be careful not to the timing key .... once it off you separated the starter clutch from the rotor there is 8 t45 bolts (if i remember right) remove those then put your new starter clutch in and toque everything to spec

Last edited:
I didn't tourque them I use a 3/8 drive impact and lock tite and make sure gto use a punch and hammer and lock them in place like they did at the factory

Dangit why couldn't they have made it 6 months ago!!!! I had to put 3 in and wish I would've put something other them oem

i have a fliywheel puller and torx bits but no torque wrench

Ima gonna have to disagree with you jasonp there is no washers on that side of the motor and for any gears to break or mess up it would have to bust a case and then it wouldn't even turn the motor its deffinently a starter clutch that's out and they don't do it off and on it a all of a sudden thing and once it starts it dosent stop untill it gets changed and that's the only thing that could b wrong inside that cover

There actually is a washer on the idler gear that is driven off the starter. Also there is a shaft and needle bearings that this gear rides on. I've had replaced 2 one ways, and 3 stators just in my warrior. That is not counting on the many other fourwheelers I used to work on... I still think it could be the one way.. I was just saying don't rule out that it is the only thing wrong.

Ok we do agree then I. Had m,y warrior trow that shaft that the ideler gear and starter ride on it busted the case and had to be reweilded but when that broke the starter freewheeled and wouldn't turn the motor over but this motor seems identical to all the starter clutches I've changed

Back