starter clutch??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20warrior00

Reaction score
okay.. i was driving the warrior down the road ,then it started to make wierd clunky noises so i slow down to a stop and then it quit, tryed to turn it over the starter wouldent budge so i figure its siezed. get it back to the house take the valve covers off to check the rockers to see if their seized, nope there not. then i took the plastic yamaha cover off (stator side) then tryed turning the motor over with a rachet nothing then i turned the motor over back words and it free'd up. tuned the key on then it fired right up (but still made bad noises) im thinkin its the starter clutch what do you guys think???

That would be the first time I heard of a starter clutch doing that, I really don't know how it could. The worst it could do is lock up which would just drive the starter constantly and make a whining noise, it shouldn't make it shut off or prevent the engine from turning.

I think you're looking for something else. Is the timing chain tight? Did you take the cam cover off and take a look at the valvetrain?

well i took it apart today and the big gear behind the fly wheel was stuck on the flywheel i had to beat it off , when i took the fly wheel off the gear wasent strait with the fly wheel the gear was on an angle..

20warrior00 said:
well i took it apart today and the big gear behind the fly wheel was stuck on the flywheel i had to beat it off , when i took the fly wheel off the gear wasent strait with the fly wheel the gear was on an angle..

Sounds to me like the flywheel wasn't installed all the way onto the crank causing play inbetween the one-way and gear. Or needle bearings went bad on the shaft.

i put a new crank in it about a month ago that was rebuilt with a versah rod in 2007 , i took the top end off today and the crank has up and down play now, what would cause that, its only been in the motor for about a month if that?

well i split the cases and found redish metal (what ever the rod is made of), and little pieces of metal almost looks like a broken washer but i cant find where or what washer it is. oh well ill just clean all the cases out and put a new crank in, cause i got 2 extra's!

20warrior00 said:
i put a new crank in it about a month ago that was rebuilt with a versah rod in 2007 , i took the top end off today and the crank has up and down play now, what would cause that, its only been in the motor for about a month if that?

Needle bearings came out of the lower pin.. most likely lack of oil. Maybe crank halfs or crank pin push in wrong or not to spec.

Back