start up questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treydg2003

Reaction score
Hey everyone im brand new to this sooo yeah. I just bought a 1999 warrior it has sat in my cousins barn for a year and a half. He lost the carb to it. Unknown reasons. So i orderend a carb changed the oil oil filter. Drained the gas and cleaned the tank. Greased all the fitings. Is there anything else i should do before trying to start this machine so that i make sure that im not gonna mess it up? Do you think that these bikes are reliable enough to go through what im doing to one? To let it set and then try to start it. I checked to make sure it turned over and it did and i changed the spark plug just in case. and help is greatly appreciated thanks a lot

Trey

It should be fine. When I got my warrior it had been sitting in a barn for an unknown amount of time, long enough for all 4 tires to go flat and the battery to die anyways. But it fired right up with a new battery, and I never had anything in the engine fail on me in 2 and a half years. These old things are tanks, it'll take a lot more than just sitting around to kill one.

And welcome to the site. Hope you stick around, there's a lot to learn here.

Hey thanks a lot. I was really concerned about it not starting because i know letting anything just sit isnt good on them so i was kinda worried. I only paid 450 dollars for the bike cosmetic wise the bike is in PERFECT condition I have an 04 350 rancher and the darn thing looks twice as old as the warrior. So 450 then i bought a carb got lucky and found a used one for 90 bucks i put brand new holeshots on the rear that was 200 and 100 dollars for uni filter and oil and oil filter. So right at a 1000 dollars really so if it runs i will have a hell of a good priced and looking warrior. Another thing how do this thing perform? Are they good hill climbers? Woods machine cause i live in eastern KY at the foothills of the apalachin mountains and its tight woods and steep hills thanks a lot for your help and i will def stick around lol

welcome to the site, i have not found one hill that my 'ol warrior cant go up, they are better than any 400,450,660 in the mud, they have a good turning radius and seem verry stable in the woods at high speeds, i dont think you will be disappointed in it...like yamarider said, it will take alot to kill theese motors, my quad has been the bad apple of the group, everything has gone wrong with it and each time it breaks is a 100+$ fix, not saying yours will brake down alot, i just got one of those bad ones....in all of the things that have gone wrong with it i have never had an engine problem

Hey again. Alright sounds like im doing pretty good so far lol. What kind of things have gone wrong with yours? Also so what kind of power do these things have anyway good enough to get you up some really steep hills? Cause my cousin has a 450r and he hits these slate banks in 1st gear but his 1st gear is prolly like high 2 or low 3rd on a warrior and i was just wondering how well they pull hills in 2nd and 3rd gear. Thanks again

3rd gear not so much, 2nd or 1st, mine has had everything from ball joints to bearings to stuck hubs etc. all i have gained from it is a sick rear end set up 1999 carrier with fitting and 99 rotor (more ground clearance) black powdercoated swing arm, banshee shock, steel sprockets (14/39)

Alright then that sounds good ill use 2nd gear a lot then lol. I checked all of the joints and bearings on the bike i bought and they all feel very very good actually. I greased the a arms a good amout just to make sure. Mine is a 1999 so im hoping that tomorrow when i put the carb on it will fire up im soo scared that its not going to but i really hope that it does. its in very good condition well the look of the bike is insane for a 99 and to be a quad soo im really happy about that. I have a buddy that has a 300 ex with pipe and jet kit on it and he is runnin his mouth that he will smoke me and that i cant keep up in the woods either. I was wondering if he is bs in me or what? My bike has a pipe on it dont know if that matters but thaks for all the help soo far. so how do a warrior and 300ex compair?? thanks

Back