Stalling when wet and hard to start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese_05_70

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here for quite some time and learned a lot. Thanks.

I have a 99 warrior 350 that if it goes through a little water it will cut out or die. I'm not sure what the problems is here. So a little help would be appreciated. I'm going to dielectric grease connections and try to use a hose to replicate why and whats failing.

Also it is a nightmare to hot restart it. Just cranks and doesnt want to pop off. When turning my pilot screw in it idles down and will die if turned too far. But I can turn it out and it never changes how it sounds. So if I'm correct I need a bigger pilot jet. I have a dynojet kit in it now with the needle in the fourth clip and a 146 jet in it and a 42.5 pilot. Runs great just a bear to restart. I have a 10.25:1 piston, a k&n air filter, ported head, Vitos +4 key, no air box lid, valve cap and pen spring mod, oil cooler mod, dg exhaust and the dynojet kit.

I need to check the valves. what kind of clearance should I run for my valves? Stock settings? Or like 0.004 for both? I have thought about taking the vitos key out but I think my jetting is still off. I have thought about putting in a stock needle in my carb but I would like to get what I got going if I can. I'm close because its got plenty of power and plug is just a little darker than a paper bag.

So any suggestions on why it dies when it gets wet and the hot restart nightmare.

for the hot start issue, test the stator hot and cold. got a feeling it may go out of spec hot.
as for the stalling wet you have a wire that is finding ground thru the water. could be any wire including the plug wire. your gonna have to look the entire harness over unless you can narrow it down with a hose.

Ok thanks guys I will check it this evening. Just get it warm and ohm it out to the specifications in the book correct. I already replaced the pickup coil. So the ignition or source coil is the only other thing right? Cause the middle big part is what charges the battery. If I'm wrong please set me straight.

We did pull the plug yesterday and it seemed like it had a weak spark when hot but I haven't really checked what the spark looks like cold either. Cold it fires up fine with no choke.

What about my pilot adjustment? I can turn it out all the way and it has no negative effects on the motor. How do you guys adjust them? Turnn it in till you hear it change rpm then count how many turns it takes to make it sputter rich then put it in the middle of them two?

Ok thanks guys I will check it this evening. Just get it warm and ohm it out to the specifications in the book correct. I already replaced the pickup coil. So the ignition or source coil is the only other thing right? Cause the middle big part is what charges the battery. If I'm wrong please set me straight.

We did pull the plug yesterday and it seemed like it had a weak spark when hot but I haven't really checked what the spark looks like cold either. Cold it fires up fine with no choke.

What about my pilot adjustment? I can turn it out all the way and it has no negative effects on the motor. How do you guys adjust them? Turnn it in till you hear it change rpm then count how many turns it takes to make it sputter rich then put it in the middle of them two?
Turn all the way in and back it out 2-2 1/2 on the air mix

Ok I did some testing stator ohms out fine when hot. I sprayed water everywhere and couldn't get it to die. I'm going to dielectric grease connections to make sure.

So I really want to get this hot start thing fixed. It drives me nuts. I can start it while hot sometimes it will only make one revolution then fire other times I can crank 20 revolutions and it wont fire up but the stator still ohms out good when it does this. It has spark also. I can literally start it hot starts good shut it off and it wont fire right up again.

I have had the pilot adjustment anywhere from 1 - 5 turns out not much change even when its running. Anything less than one it starts to sputter and not idle well though

I'm going to try changing back to factory needle and jet from there to see if I can get it to start better.

I adjusted valves intake 0.003 and exhaust 0.006. With the mods should I open them up more because I'm sure my motor gets hot than a factory motor.

If that doesnt help then I'm going to take vitos +4 key out and try again. Probably should of never put it in with the added compression.

Last edited:
Put both the valves set at .04
It's sounding like a carb jetting problem now

Back