Sputtering under load.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Went for a ride today, and part way through she started sputtering while going up a bit of a hill in 3rd. Felt like it lost fuel or spark maybe.
A bit earlier i had it shut off, and it didn't want to turn over when we started going again. I jiggled the key and it started cranking alright, but right after that it was sputtering.
I shut it off again and poked around the carb a bit and made sure the key was on all the way and it started running fine. It would idle, but once i gave it any load it would chug and sputter.
Anything i should check right off the bat? Was going to pull the tank tomorrow and check out the carb, make sure the boot isn't cracked and maybe set the jetting (haven't touched that yet). Felt more like spark tho than fuel, maybe parking brake switch shorting? It was muddy and wet where we went so i could very well have gotten moisture in some of the connections.

Sounds like fuel tho. Check your carb out along with jetting, boots, and filter. But how new is the spark plug?

sounds like the clutch and parking brake safety switches by-pass them they are nothing but trouble!

Sounds like fuel tho. Check your carb out along with jetting, boots, and filter. But how new is the spark plug?

Could be fuel pump/float as well

The plug hasn't been changed since i got it (3 months) so it may be old. I was going to change that out anyway. I'm leaning away from a fuel problem mainly because it ran great until that point, and it ran great after i shut it off for 5 minutes and poked around. If it were a car i'd describe it as a misfire. Definitely will check out the jetting and stuff tho, i haven't set that up since i picked it up.

sounds like the clutch and parking brake safety switches by-pass them they are nothing but trouble!

One of our friends said the same thing was happening to his GF's Wolverine and it was that switch, so i'm fairly sure that's what it is, because it ran great 5 minutes after happening. How do you bypass it? Snip the wires and leave it an open circuit? My park brake does nothing, i should get rid of it anyway.

Don't snip the wires!

the clutch safety switch unplug it down under the headlights bracket and plug the 2 wires it was plugged into to each other as for the parking brake switch (should be a white plug under lights) can just be un plugged and left.

Don't snip the wires!

the clutch safety switch unplug it down under the headlights bracket and plug the 2 wires it was plugged into to each other as for the parking brake switch (should be a white plug under lights) can just be un plugged and left.

Great, thanks!

Yeah, i looked at the switch on the clutch lever, and it's worn out and loose, so i'm pretty certain that was the cause of my issues. Won't know for sure until i can get out for a ride, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
isn't it something how a simple idiot switch can cause such mayhem
Glad it was the simplest of all fixes for ya man

Back