Smoking..rings or valve seals??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtstalker

Reaction score
'01 warrior, smokes on start up a lil bit, and while riding it smokes after you rev it up some. Seems like it just does it as it's decelerating down in rpms. Kind of a bluish white smoke, looks more white to me then blue but it smells to me like oil. Does this sound like the rings or the valve seals??

Alex is right it does sound like both if your compression is good might just be seals but not likely

Well that's the thing mine had great compression before the rebuild with my stock bore but it smoked a bit. So the compression test test thing isn't always the most reliable test

Ok, thanks. Compression was around 125-130 last time I checked it. I usually only ride once, maybe twice a week, other then moving it around the yard to tinker on it. Only got about a couple more months of riding, before I put it up for the winter and work on it and the rest of the quads. Will it be alright to keep riding it as is without messing anything up worse?? I'll probably tear down and rebuild the top end over the winter.

It is rings. You could have some gunk clogging up a ring and it's groove. The smoking on decel is because, on decel, vacuum is sucking oil up into the ring grooves. If you have worn rings, or gunk in a ring groove (partially seizing a ring) that oil blows past the rings (hence the term blow-by), and gets burned in the combustion chamber. That compression test is on the low side, btw. Did you hold the throttle wide open? Because, you need too so you can get a true reading. Also, a compression reading is NOT going to tell you the condtion of the rings in terms of blow-by/oil comsumption. It is ONLY going to tell you that the compression rings are still sealed well, and that is it. Any engine can have great compression, and still smoke like a freight train.

Valve seals will almost always seal up once the engine has warmed up, because the rubber seals expand and seal against the valve stems.

If I were you, I would pull out the spark plug, put the piston at bottom dead center, fill the cylinder with marvel mystery oil, reinstall the plug, and let it sit for a few days. This will help to clean the rings an their grooves. It does work, so please, no one start a fight over this. It works. I just did it on a Mojave that sat outside for 6+ years and smoked on decel. It no longer does it now that I have done it twice. Matter of fact, roughly a 1/2" of Marvel seeped past the rings and into the bottom end. I have done this on several other bikes.

After you let it is, remove the plug BEFORE YOU START IT! YOU WILL BEND A VALVE WITH ALL THAT MARVEL IN THERE!!!!!!! So, with the plug out, turn the engine over (will make a mess) to clear all the Marvel out of the cylinder. Putting a rag over the plug hole will catch most of the oil. Get yourself several new plugs, install a new one, ride the bike, change the plug out for another new one, and you should be good to go. This is cheap, and well worth the effort.

Ok thanks pat i will do that monday. gotta night ride to go on tonight. another thought on this...i switched to rotella t 15-40 on the last oil change. had been using yamalube. would this contribute to the smokin problem any?

Ok thanks pat i will do that monday. gotta night ride to go on tonight. another thought on this...i switched to rotella t 15-40 on the last oil change. had been using yamalube. would this contribute to the smokin problem any?

Nah that wouldn't contribute to it at all..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

I've done what pat said it does work if its not rode often enough you could have crud packed in the rings and it would clear a ton of it out.pat u are a genius! I forgot about that happening to mine

It ain't from me, really. My dad has used that countless times over the last 40+ years.

Well none the less bro people will read that and say I never would have thought of it so being from you and your dad both of y'all will save a bunch of people time and money just from reading this

Back