smokes

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash

Reaction score
just did the top end with a wiesco .040 and it smokes non stop do these have a long ring seat time ?

You might have did something wrong then. Pull the head and check out the cylinder.

Turned it over several times no ring tracks inside cyl looks good ( i have a bore scope )think oil ring might be soft dident seam to have a lot of tension

What method did you use to break it in? Did you wash the indide of the cylinder after getting it bored and honed?

not my 1st top end job ,hot soapy water hot water rinse, blow dry, light film oil on piston
light film on bottom of cyl bore went together smooth . Rotated several times to be sure all was ok in bore assembled head with new stem seals light coat oil on valve stem ..smokes heaviest after decell when you twist it back up..

Are the rings facing the right direction? The second ring is very critical. It acts as partial compression ring and scraper ring. The face has a taper ground into it. If it is installed upside down it will scrape oil the wrong direction and make it smoke. The rings depending on brand have an "N" etched on one side and that should face the top of the piston.

dident see anything on them stock Wiesco .040

Stock Wiseco definitely have an "N" etched in them. The last set I installed it was hard to see it. I bet the second ring is upside down. I have done it myself once. Most times the top ring is forgiving and will work either direction but that second ring is critical in any engine. Pictured is a set of .50mm Wiseco for my Raptor 350. The top ring is easy to see N50 on but the second ring is a little tougher to read. The N and whatever number always face up.

well i will pull it back down tomorrow and take a better look thanks for the pics maybe my eyes are gettin old too

Back