smokes after warm up

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetswepa

Reaction score
01 warrior when i start it cold it only smokes a little, but as i drive it it will begin to smoke out the exhaust more and more, definetly smells like oil, would you think it's the rings or the valves? also there is a slight knocking noise in the top end what is common with this noise?

okay took the head off today and there was a little puddle of oil on top of the piston, do you think this would be caused from valve seals or shot rings?

That sounds like the valve seals if oil is on the top of the piston, but usually smoke from valve seals will get better or go away completely as the engine heats. You might actually have a combination of bad/stuck rings and bad valve seals. Since you already have it apart that far you might as well pull the jug and take a look at the piston and rings. It's possible that the rings are just stuck in the grooves and not making good contact with the cylinder walls, for that you can usually just clean them up good and you'll be set, or you can replace them and hone the cylinder if you want to spend the money. If the cylinder walls have any scars or uneven wear on them an oversize piston and fresh bore may be in order.

thanks. picked up a top end gasket kit and rings today just to be sure sense i already got it opened, any sugestions on getting the valves out to change the seals?

I just went through this myself so maybe this will help.

New valves, seats and seals $160.00
Bore, hone and new 84mm Wiesco kit $170.00
Bead blast for head and cylinder $40.00
Gasket Kit $26.00
Took apart and put together myself $00

So, right around $400.00 for my topend job.
I was just gonna do the valve job but since I had it apart I figured I might as well do the piston.

SOUNDS GOOD! I JUST BOUGHT THE SAME PARTS MINUS THE PISTON.WAS GONNA GO WITH 12:1 , BUT I THINK I'M GOING WITH THE 10.25:1 GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD :)!

okay i'm lost did the topend today, valve seats and seals full gaskets and piston rings, and she is still smoking pretty good when it gets hot, checked compression and she's good, what else could this be any sugestions? also i took the head off again and it seems to me that the oil is not getting past the valve seals "was still clean"

Wish I could help you Street but I can't understand why she would start smoking when hot. Mine would smoke at startup but then run clean when warmed up. Is your plug getting oil-fouled?

everytime i pull the plug it's got a little oil on it, could the valve seals/guides let in that much oil to make it smoke like a chimley? checked compression again today and still good, i did notice a little oil coming out of the exhaust right by on the bottom of the flange.

I'm wondering if there's so much oil built up in the exhaust from before that it's still burning off... not likely but I don't have a whole lot of ideas.

Did you check that the valve guides weren't excessively worn? If the valve guides are worn bad enough then new seals won't do any good.

Another one could be if oil was coming into your airbox through the crankcase vent and getting pulled through the intake, how does the airbox look?

When you installed the piston, you did follow the instructions and made sure that the cylinder was bored to the right size, checked ring gap, and aligned them on the piston so the ring gaps are staggered, right?

i'm leaning towards the valve guides etc aswell, definetly not my air box it's modded with a k&n and the crank vent is seperate, we went as far as gauging the piston, do you think the valves would allow that much oil in, its still smoking pretty good hot or cold, apreciate all the help

Is it smoking less, more, or the same as before you rebuilt it? How much time is on it since the rebuild?

hard to say if it's smoking more or less to be honest, but still smoking good,i would say run time like 20-30 mins I thought maybe at first it was just the old oil in the exhaust, but it never got better, and when i pulled the plug it had oil on it.

okay ran it again today hoping it solved itself haha but no luck, when i back off the exhaust flange when it's running, there is a constant drip of oil coming out.

yea my brothers 1995 warrior does the same thing. when it warms up, it smokes really bad. not sure what it is, but right now its just a beater warrior so as long as it runs...

Did you have the cylinder honed! If not, there could be a lot of oil getting past the rings. Also, someone already mentioned the fact that you have to stager the ring end gaps. Seems like it has to be valve guides or a piston/ring problem. Somehow, to much oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

new valves and guides solved the problem thanks again guys for all the help.

Back