Smoke, then no smoke after top end

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintslinga2010

Reaction score
Rebuilt the top end on my project warrior with a lightly used wiseco piston and new rings. Bored and honed. On first start it smoked like a chimney! I let it smoke for 15 seconds then shut it down. Got mad went inside. Came back out, started it and no smoke! Ran for it for a minute then shut it down. Started it one more time and still no smoke. I dontt want to start it again til I get brakes on and can break it in right. What would cause it to smoke like that? It quit but it still worries me.

Rebuilt the top end on my project warrior with a lightly used wiseco piston and new rings. Bored and honed. On first start it smoked like a chimney! I let it smoke for 15 seconds then shut it down. Got mad went inside. Came back out, started it and no smoke! Ran for it for a minute then shut it down. Started it one more time and still no smoke. I dontt want to start it again til I get brakes on and can break it in right. What would cause it to smoke like that? It quit but it still worries me.

Well if you put it all together hopefully you oiled the cylinder and piston cam.. That what I did when I installed my new piston and cam you should never rebuild it and start it dry it will cause problems for sure!

Well then its gonna smoke for a bit then till it burns off.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Yup. Any oil residue that is in the cylinder will make it smoke on a first start for a fresh top end. That's why I have gotten into the habbit of rotating the engine to "push" any residue to the top of the cylinder so I can wipe it out.

Well its not burning off haha. This thing smokes worse than a two stroke. When I bought this it burned oil something terrible and it was all over the tailpipe. Now after I put in a new top end it runs exactly the same. Oil dripping out of the tailpipe. Could it be something in the head?

I rode it for a good 20 min. Smoke seems to be less but now it sits there smoking after I shut it off and tere is smoke coming out of the airbox.

As for oil coming out of the exhuast (and it smoking) that could be from too much oil residue getting pushed into and trapped in the exhaust system. Mufflers are packed with fiberglass. Get that soaked with something and the only way to "cure" it is to repack the muffler.

Did you replace the rings with new?

As for oil coming out of the exhuast (and it smoking) that could be from too much oil residue getting pushed into and trapped in the exhaust system. Mufflers are packed with fiberglass. Get that soaked with something and the only way to "cure" it is to repack the muffler.

Did you replace the rings with new?

Yea he did.. Im thinking the same thing pat with all the oil loaded in the exhaust packing... How long have you run it for ?

I've probably got 25 min total on it. The smoke from the exhaust seem to be drecreasing but when I put it up for the night there was smoke coming off the head and out of the tube that come up out of the airbox

I've probably got 25 min total on it. The smoke from the exhaust seem to be drecreasing but when I put it up for the night there was smoke coming off the head and out of the tube that come up out of the airbox

Thats ok.. You need to take it for a good couple hour ride and ride it easy.. Im sure it will clear up and the muffler will take awhile to burn the oil off..

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot. I didnt give it much of a break in time. I was riding it pretty hard because I was mad about the smoke. I've heard before it better to break them in hard so I will find out I suppose. Lol. It had good power while I was riding. I jumped to negative conclusions due to all the smoke.

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot. I didnt give it much of a break in time. I was riding it pretty hard because I was mad about the smoke. I've heard before it better to break them in hard so I will find out I suppose. Lol. It had good power while I was riding. I jumped to negative conclusions due to all the smoke.

Lol I hear ya there but I wouldnt run hard until you at least run a tank of gas through it..

And your welcome lol

Back