Sluggish through the gears

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA00warrior

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be using all of its power through each gear, like once it gets in the top end of the gear it's sluggish. buddy of mine seems to think it's a carb issue. The plug seems to be indicating that it's running right(not to lean not to rich)

I had bought a zoom zoom carb acouple months back, jetted the main jet to a 147.5 due having a K&N air filter and slip on exhaust and it seemed to run strong till just recently.
I've always heard the zoom zoom carbs come plug and play and it was except for the jets. could it possibly be my needle position? That I have not adjusted. Any other suggestions or thoughts or possible ideas on what the issue could be?

I don't really understand what you mean by sluggish. Is the bike loosing power that you used to have? or what... Maybe a better explanation will help. Since you said the jetting looks good, it kinda sounds like a slipping clutch issue...

Yes, it no longer has the same power that it used to, thats what I meant when I was saying sluggish. honestly I think you could be right, a slipping clutch issue could be it, but I'm still new to atvs so I wouldn't really know for sure
For instance when I have the bike in 1st gear with the clutch pulled and pull the reverse lever the bike backs up, with the clutch pulled in and no throttle, I couldn't get it to get away with adjustments to the clutch lever and cable. Once stopped putting it back to 'forward' has quite the resistance almost like it's stuck, plus with the bike running I can NEVER find neutral, only once I turn it off can I get into neutral. I hope this information helps.

It sounds like you have some sort of clutch issue. Whether that issue is a worn clutch, out of adjustment cable, or a mixture of the two, I don't think I can give a definite answer over the internet. Maybe someone else who has experienced these issues will be able to offer you some more solid advice.

Either way I'm a step closer to figuring it out now, thanks for your help

Back