Slow starting 87 (lots of cranking)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishx65

Reaction score
I've got an old 87 that has always run perfect and still does. For the last year, it takes a ton more cranks to get her to start after sitting overnight. Starts up just fine when warm. Seems like it's taking a while to get fuel to the carb after a long sit. Any ideas? Float?

Do a compression test. Sounds like compression is low and needs to crank excessively to "develop" enough compression to start it. When the engine is hot, tolerances are tighter, so it doesn't need to crank as much to fire it up.

Did the top end recently and compression tests fine. Any other ideas?

A week stator can sometimes cause the symptoms you are experiencing. OHM the stator as per the manual and see if it within spec.

glad I joined this forum when I did. I've got a 94 that's doing the same type of thing. I'm gonna do a compression test today or tomorrow. I never would have thought the stator because it's getting spark. but I will test that also. I'm keeping posted to see what yours turned out to be.

Back