slow cranking

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgray44

Reaction score
so my wheeler has been cranking over very slow ever since i got it. really didnt think much of it until yesterday when it just wouldnt start and i had it started the day before and it runs great. it has spark and fuel and just wont go. pops a couple times but thats about it. havent tried to pop start it yet.

my question is: how does yours sound when its being started? does it turn over quick? or slowly turn over? i have tried using a jump pack to start it and even a new battery and im out of ideas. anything i tried it just turns over slowly but never had an issue where it wouldnt start at all.

i dont know how a 660 works or any other quad but now that i think of it they all turn over fast like a car would but mine just cranks and cranks like i said very slowly. any ideas????

I think its the starter .. i know mine is going and it turns over slow .. if you go on you tube you can here what it should sound like

im wondering if there is any good way to test a starter see how much its putting out other than hook up power and watch it spin

You can diagnose the starter by measuring the current draw. You can purchase a small "clamp on" ammeter that you simply lay on the cable to the starter - ya don't have to disconnect anything. Crank it and watch the little needle tell you what the current is. If there is a high current draw then you know that the starter is at fault.

one more question, how much is TO much current draw?

Personally. If it I didn't have the tools to do this and just wanted to elimate everything and just see if the start needed a rebuild.. I would hook up a jumper. Ground one on the frame and positve right on the starter.. if it turns over fast then you know it's a wire, connection, or solenoid. IF it turns over slow then you know it's the starter. Just my opinion and not saying the other way it wrong at all.

yea thats a pretty good idea too, ill try that today, i have a feeling though that my brushes might need cleaned on the starter though, i mean come on the wheeler is 24 years old and still looks to have the original on it lol

You may also want to look at the battery again. Using those jump packs put high current in to the battery...and anything over 2 amps can hurt the battery. It happened to a friend of mine and his new battery. To test it use a voltmeter to measure the voltage of the battery... should be about 12-13 volts... then keep reading voltage while you crank it... if the voltage drops really low like below 7 volts ur battery is probably bad... Also I bought a new battery once and it had a bad cell so i had to return it... this caused slow cranking as well... Good Luck!

Clean and grease all of the terminals and grounds between the battery and starter first, including the button.

Clean and grease all of the terminals and grounds between the battery and starter first, including the button.

i actually just cleaned and greased all the connections last week. anyway here is an update

i pulled the starter off and hooked it up to direct power and it was spinning like a pooch, so slow. so i opened it up and cleaned everything inside of it and reassembled it hooked back up and was still spinning slow.

i had another starter laying around so i took the motor out of that one and stuck it in my current one put it all together and hooked it up to direct power and it spun like a spider monkey on crack. cool right? so i hooked it up to the wheeler. hit the start but and all it did was spin. i know my starter clutch is ok so i pulled the starter back out and flipped the motor around in it to reverse the way it spun and put it back on the wheeler and it cranked but slow again then the batter completly died.

i took my buddies brand new 2 week old battery and hooked it up and it spun and then that battery acted like it was dead! so now im at a loss of thought. the stater spins fine but now it clicks at the solenoid and i cant even jump that with a screwdriver cuz it wont do anything at all.

could i have hurt my solenoid by hooking a battery charger to the battery? i put it on slow charge setting at 10 amps...was that to much?

and also which way does the flywheel spin when the motor is turning? i had a buddy watch in the timing hole and he got shot with oil all over his face hahaha it was funny. anyway i have a solenoid off a 94 warrior, will that work?

yes 10amps is way to much, 2amp max charge on an atv battery. and yes the 94 solinod will work in yours

k ill give that a shot within the next couple of days thanks and ill keep you guys updated!

yes 10amps is way to much, 2amp max charge on an atv battery. and yes the 94 solinod will work in yours

Actually bud :) the stock charging system on a warrior can put out 10 to 12 amps out and max around 20 amps charging. . If the battery was completely dead or very low on voltage 2 amp max is good to stick with as you always want to do a slow charge on a battery that way you don't boil off the water and over heat it. If it is a good battery and say you set the charger to 10 amps max the battery won't pull that much current.. say if the battery is dead, shorted or junk it will pull that kind of current.

i actually just cleaned and greased all the connections last week. anyway here is an update

i pulled the starter off and hooked it up to direct power and it was spinning like a pooch, so slow. so i opened it up and cleaned everything inside of it and reassembled it hooked back up and was still spinning slow.

i had another starter laying around so i took the motor out of that one and stuck it in my current one put it all together and hooked it up to direct power and it spun like a spider monkey on crack. cool right? so i hooked it up to the wheeler. hit the start but and all it did was spin. i know my starter clutch is ok so i pulled the starter back out and flipped the motor around in it to reverse the way it spun and put it back on the wheeler and it cranked but slow again then the batter completly died.

i took my buddies brand new 2 week old battery and hooked it up and it spun and then that battery acted like it was dead! so now im at a loss of thought. the stater spins fine but now it clicks at the solenoid and i cant even jump that with a screwdriver cuz it wont do anything at all.

could i have hurt my solenoid by hooking a battery charger to the battery? i put it on slow charge setting at 10 amps...was that to much?

and also which way does the flywheel spin when the motor is turning? i had a buddy watch in the timing hole and he got shot with oil all over his face hahaha it was funny. anyway i have a solenoid off a 94 warrior, will that work?

No you really can't hurt anything hooking a battery charger up as long as you don't hook the sob up backwards and don't exceed 16 volts. Which can happen on some big battery chargers in start mode. I also wouldn't leave a battery charger on the bike if you have the engine runing.

Do you have a digtal volt meter by any chance?

How does the ground wire look that goes to the frame?

Actually bud :) the stock charging system on a warrior can put out 10 to 12 amps out and max around 20 amps charging. . If the battery was completely dead or very low on voltage 2 amp max is good to stick with as you always want to do a slow charge on a battery that way you don't boil off the water and over heat it. If it is a good battery and say you set the charger to 10 amps max the battery won't pull that much current.. say if the battery is dead, shorted or junk it will pull that kind of current.
thanks, I've always been told 2amps or less, nice to find out different

Do you have a digtal volt meter by any chance?

How does the ground wire look that goes to the frame?

yes i do have a volt meter and i havent checked the grounds on the frame yet, its one of the things i am going to do today

alright here is an update, i pulled off the spark plug and it was fouled like crazy, put a new plug in and it fired right up BUT i still have a slow cranking motor the details:

battery reads 12.5 doesnt drop below 10 while cranking
my batter works fine in my buddies 660, his battery cranks my wheeler just as slow as my battery.

is it possible that i have so much compression its messing with the starter?
the guy i got my quad from said it has a 400 big bore in it, thats all he told me. the case has been opened cuz they used rtv sealant for gaskets.

my decomp lever doesnt work at all, ill flip up the tab and it feels like nothing is connecting inside the valve cover. with my sparkplug off the motor turns great. i dont believe its my stater clutch i think its just the starter.

do they make high torque starters? maybe i need something like that. i dunno im out of ideas HALP!!!

Back