slow cranking starting wont run need help please

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagged2drag88

Reaction score
Well first off thanks for helping... I have an 01 warrior that is turn over very slowly and won't run ived replaced battery and starter solenoid I've also replaced starter and no positive changes the sound of it cranking is different than normal as well probably due to whatever this is I've tested the new starter and old one on my 89 warrior and they are perfect.... it turned over today and let off a hell of a backfire today.... this was running fine until I got it stuck in trails last week.... any help would be great

load tested the new battery thinking i got a dud but everything checks out good with that too.... new battery new starter solenoid and new starter.... dont know what the hell else it could be

so with it being a starter clutch what all am i look for to purchase? ive searched starter clutch but do i need any bearings? seals? and what would explain the back fire and sputter ? thanks for getting to my questions

The slow cranking can cause both of those issues you will need a flywheel puller torx bit set a torque wrench and a stator cover gasket

with this replacement do i need to get part call starter one way assy and the idler? i just want to be sure cause im looking at like 180 for this

im looking at cheapcyleparts.com and thinking i need # 6 with is just called idler for 75 bucks and the #9 called once way assy for 86 bucks nothing is just call starter clutch and sorry if im coming off as a moron on this .... this "starter clutch" thing is new to me honestly

so im assuming this flywheel pulley is same concept with pulling steering wheel or a pully right? socket like cyliner over and key press off? then when thats off is it pretty self explanatory?

thanks a bunch guys!!! hopefully this cures my issue next is my actual clutch on the 89 whats this i hear adding an extra metal plate to kit for tighter shifting????

Well first off thanks for helping... I have an 01 warrior that is turn over very slowly and won't run ived replaced battery and starter solenoid I've also replaced starter and no positive changes the sound of it cranking is different than normal as well probably due to whatever this is I've tested the new starter and old one on my 89 warrior and they are perfect.... it turned over today and let off a hell of a backfire today.... this was running fine until I got it stuck in trails last week.... any help would be great
Had the same prb thay r right get the one way bearing it will fix u up so u can get back riding.:atv:

Wait a sec. Does it crank over slow? why jump right towrds a starter clutch. Usually when thats bad, the starter just spins. And before it goes out you can usually here it clanking round when you fire it up. Does it just turn over slow?

Check the ground on your negative cable and check the supply voltage at the starter to confirm 12vdc is being supplied.

Backfire is a air to fuel mixture situation (to much air) or could be valve/timing related.

ok i did a new one way bearing and idler gear and still the same thing..... ground is good new starter and solenoid like everyone suggested still doing it.... any other ideas cause now ive spent 500 bucks on it

Back