Shock swap- stock warrior to 450yzf?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJDrift

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was thinking of upgrading my front shocks. I think the warrior shock length is 14.5"(eye-to-eye) I'll check it again tomorrow. My friend upgraded his Raptor front shocks to the yfz450s and said it way better in ride and performance. He suggested I swap to a 450 shock. It measured 15.5" length slightly longer.My friend said it should fit and possibly lift the front 1/2", which would have no ride affect? So my question is... did anyone swap to a 450 shock, will it fit or do I have to do some mods?
NOTE:
I have the Daimond J widening kit, So the upper shock mounts have two sets of holes to use. I'm using the outer holes and my friend believes the inner holes will accommodate the extra length.
Please if anyone can let me know before I commit. Thanks for all the help.

There has been quite a bit of debate on this topic. Some have used it and gotten away from it. Some have not.
The problem I have read and not experienced is this. Even though they bolt up and it may look just like it makes the bike sit higher more than that is actually going on.
When you compress you stock suspension your balljoints pivot a certain degree. When you add shocks with longer travel you are allowing your balljoints to pivot beyond the safe pivot angle. This in turn puts an extreme amount of stress on the balljoint causing it to fail.
Now if you think about it when is your suspension at it full compress and extension? When you've got it in the air and when you hit the ground from having it in the air.
Now to each his own but when I'm running Mach 15 and hit a jump I for damn sure want to know that my front wheels are going to stay where they are supposed to be, on my bike.
I don't know a lot about the bracket extension deal. But even if you move the shock to the upper mount or whatever, you are still not using your balljoints in there normal range of motion.
Now it is your bike and you body and you can do what you want, but it's to much risk for me.

Oh and I know Mach 15 is a little bit of a stretch.
I could be wrong on all of this but that's how I see the suspension geometry.

I just picked up HLS custom shocks w/rezzi. Found a great deal on eBay for less than 450yzf shocks. Not to mention, these shock are designed for the Warrior. I'll let you know how it rides once I get them & installed. In a couple of weeks. Hope it was a good choice. I did some research and it has great ratings. I also heard that the rezzi pops/burst. Hope thats just because of improper installation with the seals. I'll find out.... Thanks!

Back