Shock settings

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr600

Reaction score
How can you get a 2000 warrior to ride smoother on the trails.Do you have the front shocks set in the lowest position and rear soft?What about the adj on the rear shock all the way in or all the way out?Thanks

For the front, replace the stock pogo sticks with either aftermarket shocks, or on a budget, shocks from a Banshee. The banshee shocks have a progressive rate spring, which will ride better on the trails.

If you keep it stock, the shocks will ride smoothest at the weakest preload, but in my opinion it performs better all-around at a medium setting. I can't stand it on the softest setting because it allows way too much lean in the corners and off-camber situations.

The rear will take trial and error. Set it up too extreme in either direction and it's going to ride like crap. If it's too stiff it's obviously going to bounce around and wear you out, but the same can happen if it's too soft. It'll bottom out easier if the preload is too weak - every inch of sag in the suspension is another inch of travel that you lose to smooth out the bumps on the trails. If the rebound rate is too slow it'll pack up across the fast rocky sections and have it bouncing all over the place again, but if the rebound is too fast it'll spring you back up too quick. It just takes some trial and error to find that happy medium. Try setting the spring preload so the rear of the quad sags 3-4 inches when you sit down on the seat. That will give you a good base point, and you can make adjustments from there as needed.

Yes, the 01 raptor shock always fits... i didn't like it on mine though because it raised the rear ride height too much so it threw off the balance of the bike, and messed up the chain geometry so it was impossible to adjust the chain so it's not loose at one point and tight when the suspesion is compressed. I gave it to somebody to put on the 250x he was rebuilding, and bought a used aftermarket shock for a banshee. Snagged that on ebay for dirt cheap, 50 bucks or something like that. I liked the banshee shock a lot more because it maintained the stock ride height and chain geometry. I can't really say much for how a stock banshee shock compares to the stock warrior shock, because the one i got turned out to be a $750 WP shock and made the warrior feel like an mx bike.

Back