sand in carb/air box

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooner

Reaction score
So my warrior was doing this weird thing where it would idle ok, bog down almost cut out, then idle good again. did this over and over. so i took the carb apart and in the top there was quite a bit of sand up there. when i sprayed carb cleaner in there it looked like mud was pouring out, the cleaner was a dark brown coming out. so i removed my air cleaner and there is a bunch of sand built up in the bottom tube that goes to the carb. know any reasons for this? i inspected the air cleaner and it doesn't have any holes. so should i just clean it out and hope it doesn't happen again?

Last edited:
so i removed my air cleaner and there is a bunch of sand built up in the bottom tube that goes to the carb.

HUH? you mean the rear carb boot? Then its getting through your filter too. and if you have no holes in your airbox, its gotta be coming down the top (lid) main vent tube. Either you rides through piles of sand ALOT of you filter sucks ass. time for a new filter. Go with a Direct UNI, or a direct or drop in K&N with a pre-charger. That should keep all the sound out.

Also if your suckin in sand and your noticing it now, best change your oil.......twice.

time for a new filter. Go with a Direct UNI, or a direct or drop in K&N with a pre-charger. That should keep all the sound out.

Also if your suckin in sand and your noticing it now, best change your oil.......twice.

well it just has the stock air filter and air box.. so just buy the $50 dollar K&N off ebay? also what kind of oil should i run?

change your motor oil a few times using cheap oil, chances are you have some some in your motor form the crank case vent hose and you'll want that out before it tears up your bearings

well i hooked it all back up again and it does the same thing.. i am going to do the oil pretty soon. it seems to idle ok, then it pops and the carb jerks.. backfire???? then it bogs it down to almost dying. idles up and does it all again.. any one ever had this problem or something close to it?

maybe there is still sand in the carb, did you blow it out after cleaning it? That's all that I can think of. In an off note did you get it stuck in quicksand or something?

F that $50. Got fro a proflow kit. You get the direct adapter and filter and cover for $80 (I think). Sounds like you carb is gunked up to me. (Is it jetted properly??) Pull the garb, sock it in some carb cleaner, clean out the jets. After all that, you should be good. No more dumping sand into the intake!

yes i did and there is none. the only thing i could think of is sand coming in the intake.. but the filter should handle that but maybe not... and deadlast i wish you would have posted that earlier haha i just ordered the K&N filter with precharger yesterday night.. haha should have checked first i guess.. oh well either way it will be better that what i had right?

so i should tear into the carb again?? haha darnit

ok one thing i just noticed is there a hose coming out of the top of the carb and going to no where. about six inches long.. it has always been like that since i can remember..
IMAG0006.jpg

l either way it will be better that what i had right?

Yeah, that precharger will do the trick. That hose on the carb is just a vent hose, its fine to be open, they usually have a white vent cap on them though. If you get the new filter in and it still all craped up. You gotta get that carb off and really clean it. Take the juts out and clean them, soak the think with carb cleaner and after all that you should be fine again. Sand is a bitch.

ok i will have to do that. the first time i just used carb cleaner and blew it out.. but i guess i need to pull out all the jets too.. how do i adjust them after wards? should i like see how many turns out they are. like from where they're at screw them in and count the turns? or how do i do that?

Well you can count the mixture screw, but as far as when you take the jets out, they just screw right back in.....Dont over tighten them like the guy i got my bike did, ruined my whole carb, coudlnt get them out to clean, had to buy a new carb, just make sure they seat and you will be fine...

Make sure you get any rubber o-rings and gaskets out first, and clean it real good, might as well do it right, cause man the carbs a pain in the ass to get off this damn thing!

haha ya i have had it off twice now.. so do i like run some type of small wire throug the jets to clean them out?? or should i just carb cleaner and blow them out?

ok.. so all i will have to re adjust is the fuel mixture screw?

if you counted how many turns in it was before you removed it put it back to that. If you didn't turn it in all the way, but don't tighten it, then back it out about 2 1/2 turns. That will get you going, now while it is warmed up and running count the turns inward until the idle stats to stumble some, then count the turns outward until the idle stumbles, next turn the screw to the spot in the middle of the two stumbles and your set.

Yep thats the proper procedure, but have fun with it on a warrior, its a pain in the ass to get to that screw while its mounted on the bike! I have had a ton of machines and this is the worst!

Back