Running hot?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbthreat

Reaction score
Never had a problem with motor overheating and the jetting on the motor is pretty spot on with no back-firing, smooth acceleration through all gears and no dead spots in any gear. However, at night the header pipe (DG header pipe) glows red at the first five inches of pipe coming off the exhaust port, which on cars is usually an indicator of running lean. Do any of you YFM guru's think I am jetted too lean, or is it possibly just a shitty DG head pipe? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Depending on the headers, it can be normal for it to glow. Also, how bright is it glowing? Like bright cherry red, or just enough to see it in the dark?

The best way to find out for sure if you're too lean is by the spark plug. If the tip is white you need to richen it up some.

Yeah, it can be normal for the header to glow as it's most likely thinner steel then the stock on. Also it could be running a hair lean usally you find the bike will run wierd, pop and backfire through the carb.

is it glowing red at idle mine was and i went up a bigger size on the pilot jet and it solved the problem

It glows at idle and it is only apparent at night. Orange dull glow is how it appears, not very bright. Like I said, really no problems through the carb. Spark looks good, not white. I know I'm getting a good burn. Maybe I should put in a bigger jet, but it runs fine despite the glow.

You can actually tune that circuit and not install a bigger jet, if it's not to far out. Simple. The fuel screw that is down my the bowl of the carb in the front. You will see a screw. Warm your bike up and turn the idle up a little ways to get around 1800 rpm. Listen to the rpms. Start with the fuel screw in all the way or 1/4 from LIGHTLY seated. Slowly turn it out maybe half or 1/4 turn at a time. Listen for maxium RPM's and engine to sound prefect. It will sound clean. No poping out the carb (lean) or missing through the exhaust (rich). After you go out so far on the screw RPM's will drop off again, just turn the screw back a little and RPM's should pickup and sound great. Take the bike for a ride and run it through the gears and let off the gas... if there is no backfiring through the exhaust you know your right on, if there is a little just richen up the (turn the screw out) 1/4 turn and that should help. Your low side mixture will be right on.
Also if you find that your engine runs best at less then with the fuel screw turned 1/4 in then small pilot jet... more then 3 1/2 out then on size richer on the pilot jet.

Basically just listen for how high the RPM's go up and then eventually come down. You'll see right away what I'm talking about as you start to turn the fuel screw out.

Ive seen yfz's glow cherry red in dark and the owners act like its normal. I thought it was weird but the bike was stock so i dunno if its ok in a warrior.

You can actually tune that circuit and not install a bigger jet, if it's not to far out. Simple. The fuel screw that is down my the bowl of the carb in the front. You will see a screw. Warm your bike up and turn the idle up a little ways to get around 1800 rpm. Listen to the rpms. Start with the fuel screw in all the way or 1/4 from LIGHTLY seated. Slowly turn it out maybe half or 1/4 turn at a time. Listen for maxium RPM's and engine to sound prefect. It will sound clean. No poping out the carb (lean) or missing through the exhaust (rich). After you go out so far on the screw RPM's will drop off again, just turn the screw back a little and RPM's should pickup and sound great. Take the bike for a ride and run it through the gears and let off the gas... if there is no backfiring through the exhaust you know your right on, if there is a little just richen up the (turn the screw out) 1/4 turn and that should help. Your low side mixture will be right on.
Also if you find that your engine runs best at less then with the fuel screw turned 1/4 in then small pilot jet... more then 3 1/2 out then on size richer on the pilot jet.

Thanks for that info. I've messed with the fuel screw and have it turned out about 2.5 times. I'll mess with it tomorrow, but from what everyone on here has indicated, this glowing is a normal occurance. Thanks for all your help guys.

at night and in the winter time on my lake my entire header glows.......i forgot to change my jets for the winter riding and couldnt get to it cause i dont have any place heated other then my house to work on it......i had to run it half choke..lol and yes i know this is bad for it......but hey i got an engine warranty and if anything does break....they gotta fix it..haha

my stock header has that glow to it at night also, I just assumed it was normal becuase it was just an orange and not bright, and it runs good.

Back