ridiculously loud clacking noise from top end

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboZX9

Reaction score
just picked up this 95, it fired right up but has a horrible noise from the top end, sounds like at least, didnt want to run it more than 2 seconds. figured a lock nut came off a rocker but everything looks ok in there, exhaust lash is a little loose but this wasnt that type of noise, it sounded like it was gonna come apart! no noises when turning the motor over by hand or with the starter with no plug in.

could it be something like a wrist pin? only making noise under combustion? bike has good compression, didnt gauge it but finger in the spark plug hole "test" shows pretty strong

thanks in advance

i would but i dont want to damage anything, I'm just going to have to start tearing down, all i get when i search for top end noise on these warriors i find nothing but people saying these bikes have noisy valves, its not a valve clicking, thought i may have seen a couple metal flakes towards the cam gear side when shining a flashlight in the access hole, i just dont understand not hearing anything during hand craking

these motors are very well known for louder then normal valve trains. what is your lash set at? and are you running an after market cam?

its not valve noise, my buddy has 2 warriors i know what they sound like,, bike is stock as far as i know, doesnt look like its been worked on, its loud, louder than the exhaust, as loud as rod knock on a car but doesnt sound the same

cam chain i think, i got a noise too on my 95, check ur cam chain tensioner, mine is slap bottomed out

i'll check it out when i get a chance to get over to my friends garage

ah, metal oil out the oil drain. looks like it wont be stock anymore!

buddy just called, he pulled it apart out of boredom, it wont be cheap it looks like. just have to figure out which route i want to go with the motor, wish that hot rods stroker kit piston was forged.....

I haven't heard any problems with the stroker kit

warriorbar-1.gif

03 Yamaha Warrior
PRM front bumper
AC nerfs
3 1/2" rear spacers
Custom slip on
More to come
check out my vids on YouTube
-Atv Mayhem

that 9.2 compression would be way too tempting for me. id end up wanting boost but I won't do that on a cast piston.

The stroker is 10.5. That would be cool to rebuild it stock bore 9.2 with turbo

warriorbar-1.gif

03 Yamaha Warrior
PRM front bumper
AC nerfs
3 1/2" rear spacers
Custom slip on
More to come
check out my vids on YouTube
-Atv Mayhem

yeah but most ive seen are too high cr for boost, i know i can have anything made, anybody know what je charges for a single piston? i paid 880 for these one off beauties

it either ate a thrust washer or one was never installed on the crank

boosting it

mine broke the big end crank pin well it pushed the counter weights apart and destroyed the cases and all....oh at 9.5lbs 5lbs was kick azz fun !

mine broke the big end crank pin well it pushed the counter weights apart and destroyed the cases and all....oh at 9.5lbs 5lbs was kick azz fun !

i'll pick your brain now that your in my thread:iagree:

intercooled? water injection? what kind of fuel? did you have a wideband? a/f ratio if so, what was your carb setup? my zx9 is blow through with a rising rate regulator bowls pressurized via a pitot tube to keep my main jet sizes down

Back