remove carbon?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick97war

Reaction score
So i am rebuilding the top end there is a lot of carbon build up all in the head what's the best way to remove carbon buildup

$20 media blaster from harbor freight, and some walnut shell media, it will clean it to perfection and not take any material away with it

That, or with the valves closed and the head upside down, spray brakeclean onto the valves and let it sit for a while to loosen it up. Then use a scotchbrite pad, steel woole, or a wire brush and lightly scrub it it it's clean. Very easy and inexpensive.

I like cheap after shelling out 420$ on parts to rebuild the top end

I like cheap after shelling out 420$ on parts to rebuild the top end

Seems kind of dumb if you spent that much already to not have the head done up right. It should be disassembled, glass bead cleaned, valves measured and ground and lapped, and the cam an rockers inspected for wear or damage and new seals installed.

Well i got new wiseco .40 piston with all top end seals,kibblewhite valves,kibblewhite springs, wiseco timing chain and for the drive new front and rear sprock et with new chain
Off of ebay with shipping for 420$ ????
what does ground and lapped when you are talking about the valves? ?? . With all this after boring the cylinder whats next?

Lapping the valves and freshining up the valve seats, involves removing the valves and springs from the head, and doing some fairly general machine work for someone that is familar with it. That is the best way, and the right way to do it. It may not always be necessary, but imo it should be done whenever the top end is replaced. I've never NOT rebuilt a head on my personal bikes when I've done thier top ends. I've had a few customers that don't want to spend the extra to have it done 100% through and through, but that's their descisson not mine...

I am a machinist for a living, and a warrior head is one of the easiest to do. I rebuilt mine with oversize intake valve and ported and polished in three hours. which at our shops labor rate is about 180 bucks, well worth it if you ask me. if you have kibblewhite valves coming off of ebay you will need to have your seats cut or youll likely burn an exhaust valve pretty quick, and if you are doing it, or having a machine shop, they should bead blast the carbon off the head anyway, and do a final wash for assembly. just my opinion

Not as good as walnut blasting but...

Not that it is made for this application but easy-off oven cleaner works very well. Just dont leave it on to long since it is not realy made to clean aluminum.

Back