rear sprocket nut torque?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeVW

Reaction score
I've downloaded the repair manual which has, so far, been great.
I cannot for the life of me find the torque for the 6 little nuts that hold the rear drive sprocket to the hub.

The small front sprocket is 54 ft-lbs, but I cannot find the rear specs.

I did find an error though... Section 2, Page 9 (2-9 at the bottom of the page) lists various parts and the torque specs for them, in 3 different values (Newton-meter, Ft.-lbs, etc.).

Find Drive Sprocket in the list... it says it is a M20 thread size, which isn't what I'm looking for, and there are only 2 nuts, I'm looking for 6 of them, but the error is in the torque... it states it is 75 newton meters and only 7.2 ft-lbs, which is not even close to the same torque.

Chassis Section 6, page 6 (6-6), there is a diagram of the rear end, the chain, sprocket, the little nuts I can't find the spec for, rear axle, ring nuts, etc.... they all have a spec expect the little nuts. Nothing for them.:tdown:

I'm thinking 12-15 ft-lbs for them, then bend the little tabs up around the nuts when done, but I'd like to be sure... I just can't find the spec anywhere.

Thanks to anyone who can point me to the page that has the info:tup:

Oh, pics since they help views...

The nuts I need the info on:
081911%20003s.jpg

And here is a pic of the well-worn front sprocket:
081911%20004s.jpg

Rear sprocket nuts/bolts are 43ft-lbs, and the front sprocket nut is 54ft-lbs.

Rear sprocket nuts/bolts are 43ft-lbs, and the front sprocket nut is 54ft-lbs.

Thanks!
Did you find it in that free online manual? If so, tell me where, it is driving me nuts!

While looking through the listing they have with the various torque values on page 2-9... there are several errors. They list 80 Nm as both 36 and 43 ft-lbs. for the clutch boss and primary drive gear... both conversions are wrong, 80 newton meters equals 60 foot pounds, so I'm rapidly losing faith in the free online .pdf tech manual available.

Thanks again for the info, 43 ft-lbs, it is for the rear sprocket nuts then:tup:

48lbs!! Ur gonna break them! 15-20lbs is a ton for 8mx1.25 bolts!!! Don't tourqu them to 48lbs cuzz if you do your gonna break them off

48lbs!! Ur gonna break them! 15-20lbs is a ton for 8mx1.25 bolts!!! Don't tourqu them to 48lbs cuzz if you do your gonna break them off

That was my initial thought as well.... 43 ft-lbs just sounds high for that size fastener.
I placed a call to the local dealer to ask and was given "43 sounds about right to me." for an answer.... but it still sounds too much for a 12mm or 14mm nut.

I've downloaded the Raptor350 free .pdf, it is equally useless for this info that I can tell, same as the Warrior .pdf manual.

The general guidelines for torque spec for a 12mm nut is 11 ft-lbs, and 22 ft-lbs for a 14mm nut. I can't recall if these are 12mm or 14mm, I think 12mm. That sounds more correct to me, the M8x1.25 bolts I use on the transaxles I rebuild are 18 ft-lbs.

I'd like to find the actual figure somewhere, but if it is unavailable for whatever reason I'll go with about 15 ft-lbs on them.

Thanks all for the replies:tup:

They are 14mm and I normally just tighten then and don't bother with the torque wrench as long as you lock the tabs you should be good

I read that right out of a Warrior manual/repair guide. No joke. I would scan it and post it on here, I'd do that, IDK how though.

Thats what it says! It says... 32ft-lbs for the wheels.

You typed 43 originally, not 32.... and the sprocket is different than the wheel... the wheel uses 4 nuts to hold it to the hub, the sprocket uses 6.

The picture I posted shows the sprocket:tup:

I'm not near it so I don't know if it is a 12mm or 14mm nut, but it should be around 15 ft-lbs or something. I'll go with 15 ft-lbs if I can't find any other source.... and honestly with the number of errors I've seen in the free .pdf files available, even if I saw 32 or 43 ft-lbs in print for those nuts, I don't think I would follow it. That's just too much for those little guys.

Just tighten them till there snug and bend the tabs I've been doing it without a torque wrench for Years no prob

Just tighten them till there snug and bend the tabs I've been doing it without a torque wrench for Years no prob

Yeah, that is always an option, but I build these for a living so I'm a stickler for preloads, torque values, working clean, etc. when I work on something... just force of habit at this point:tup:

072711%20029s.jpg

072711%20030s.jpg

052511%20016s.jpg

052511%20018s.jpg

2008-06-02%20010s.jpg

06-15-09%20027s.jpg

06-15-09%20032s.jpg

Back