Rear Carrier Issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordysoso

Reaction score
Well I haven't been on here in a while so whats up yall??!! but anyway to the point. I had the rear carrier bearings done by a guy and he said the carrier itself wasn't worn bad at all. So I got the bike back. took it out all of maybe 3 or 4 times for a total of MAYBE 5 hours. I rode it down the street last wed. with no issues at all. I went to take it out on Saturday to go riding and literally had a rear end death wobble and I mean the whole rear end was moving scary bad. so I rode 400 feet back to my house and parked it. I had the guy put in pivot works bearings. Now correct me if I'm wrong but if done properly and actually done, there could be no way for the bearings to be bad already. Anyone have any input?

were they packed and or greased?
they shouldnt be bad already.
i dont think its the carriers fault but the bearings or lubrication that caused the problem.

I just changed my whole rear end over the weekend. So to answer your question, No they should not have failed at all with just 3 to 5 hours on them. It sounds like to me that the guy either didn't seat the bearing all the way in which caused it to fail under force and inertia. Or he didn't grease anything. Bearings can burn up quick with the right lubrication like alex said, same goes for your outer seals make sure they have grease applied to them as well.

I'm gonna tear it down myself. Which way does the axle pull out again? And if installer error is the issue I'm getting my money back. I paid $140 for him to do my bearings and put on my rear brakes. Took him a month and my bearings are trashed and my rear brakes don't work. He's messed up more bikes too I just found out, my buddies 400ex motor al most blew of work the guy did on it. Utterly disappointed.

I absolutely hate that for ya man, Your axle will pull out from the right side. He had to have done something wrong like I said in the above post. While your at it you should tap the carrier for a grease zerk, it will increase the life of the new bearings.

make sure the wheel hubs caster nuts aren't loos and like sparky said make sure the axle lock nuts are tightened all the way to seal the sprocket hub and brake hub to the bearings

My carrier bearings that I put in also went out with about 6 hours and I repacked them with marine grease and tapped a zerk. I am thinking maybe my chain may have been too tight or/and my big 25 inch tires wore them.

What's up josh! And I'm running an rk race chain with the ~2.5mm thick gold plated side plates with 20" razr's. Everything looked tight and secure before I rode it. My chain was slacked out hardcore but it has always been fine before, maybe adjusted it once after the first ride. I could understand it slacking a little but as much as it is now is worrysome. So I guess this weekend ill have a few buddies over, pull the axle, and look at the bearings after going thru process of elimination. Ill also contact pivot works because they have a lifetime warranty on their bearings.

I cross referenced the stock size bearings a while back to a roller/cup automotive bearings.
I ordered them but have never installed them. I'm sure they would be far stronger.

How much do they run Josh? I will be needing a set soon

Ill probably end up going with those this time, you got a part# or link to it josh? I can't believe this **** lol

I'll have to look in my notebook.
I'm out on the ship right now.
The cost was pretty fair or I wouldn't have bought them.
The only catch is I haven't installed them yet, I just thought it would be a goo mod.

I'm CONSTANTLY adjusting my carrier, bearings have no play so I think they are ok. But my question is does anyone know a way to keep the chain adjusters and carrier bolts from moving? Loctite maybe? Just long enough to get a few more rides out of it and functional to possibly sell it??

I think I'm going to put a new carrier on with new bearings and a tusk Gforce axle. Don't have the money for a durablue or rpm. Hopefully this will fix my issue. If you're ever in Lorain county ohio and need your quad fixed don't go hilltop racing. That's where they screwed mine up.

Back