rear brake issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorrider01

Reaction score
hey guys and gals...pretty sure i know what the issue is, but wanted a second or third or fourth opinion.

when i bought my warrior i put new brake pads on it, and then the brake didnt work AT ALL. i put another master cylinder on it, and it seemed to work better. but not like it should. i bled it and bled it and bled it, no air in the system at all. but it still isnt working like it should.

i'm thinking its the rear caliper?

Educated guess?
Caliper piston has rust on the edge near the seal.
When you retracted the piston to get the new pads in, the rusty scum ring got jammed into the caliper.
Disassemble and inspect the piston and bore. If the piston is rusted, replace it. It's pitted and officially toast. The bore might still be OK if not pitted from corrosion.

Had the same thing happen to one of the front calipers on my '02 BMW this year, 'cept it just hung up a little wee bit and lightly overheated the rotor and discolored the paint on the caliper.

If it comes down to it Ive got a whole rear brake setup for sale. I'd check what Motoarts siad though, hes pretty knowledgeable on some things!!

motoarts, that is probably exactly what happened...wonder if i could take it apart and clean it and it would work again? probably not. 98warrior, what would you want for just a caliper?

Worth a shot at cleaning it up and giving it a go for a short term fix. Worst it could do is leak, or eventually be susceptible to rusting/pitting in the same spots if the chrome is gone on the piston.

While you're at it, I strongly suggest removing the front master cylinder from the bars, turning it upside down, flushing it with rubbing alcohol to clean out the scum and clinkers, and bleeding new fluid through both calipers. If the fluid in it is anything but golden clear, it has absorbed water.

Its a maintenance item that nobody ever does or thinks about...

Let us know what you find.

Back