Rear brake disc mod!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler

Reaction score
Hey check this out i drilled the brake disc and painted it! fixing to put it on and see how it goes! The little smudges around the holes are where i had to use a very fine sand stone thing on the dremel drill to clean up the holes.

Rearbrakedisc.jpg

ya my dad made the template on it. He used i sharpie ruler and some other stuff. i would have done it but i have not skill at drawling

Really cool! Great job!! This might even help your pads last a bit longer too. Simple yet useful mods are the best!

i know ^ Ive been trying to think of other mods that dont require alot of money because i have almost all the tools i need to do to do just about any thing.

See the main reason I didnt want to do this at first was because if i screwd it up i didnt have another one. And drilling it was CRAZY easy! i would have thought that the metal that the disc was made out of would have ben really hard but it was actualy pretty soft.

hmm that is interesting, now if only i had a stock rotor that wasnt bent lol. i guess i could practice on my bent ones though. nice thread though, if it really is that easy, it could be a great mod to do

Ya the hardest part is getting the holes all lined up right, and if you look close at the picture on the right side of the disk you can just barley see the lines made with the sharpie to get the hole lined up right.O YA AND YOU BETTER HAVE A DRILL PRESS to do this or you are prolly screwed.

Do you think by doing this that my brake pads will wear faster than if the disc was not drilled?

Ok good, But my rear brake pads seem to be wearing kinda fast but it may be because i dont have front brakes so the rear brakes are having to work twice as hard and because im riding in some mud, and i have heard that mud on a brake disc is like sand paper?

As long as everything is deburred so you don't have rough edges at the holes it should actually increase your pad life, if anything. The point of the drilled rotors is to keep it cooler and to help clear grit from between the pads and rotor, both of those things will help with pad life.

Mud will definitely wear your pads down quicker, the grit basically acts like grinding compound and just tears the hell out of it.

It also won't help not having front brakes, the rear brake pads tend to wear quicker to begin with, and now instead of stopping with 3 rotors you're putting everything on that single rear rotor.

Also check that the rotor isn't bent or warped, if you jack the rear up, fire it up and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear to get the axle spinning it should be pretty easy to tell if it's straight or not. Any side to side wobble will be a good reason for your pads to wear quickly.

What kind of brake pads are you running? It doesn't pay to save money with the cheap ones, a good set can last 10 times as long but only costs about 3 times as much.

I tell you what, i've tried a lot of different types of brake pads in the name of saving money, and none of the unknown brands like that ever got me anywhere. I never heard of neutron, but for the price I got a pretty good idea of how good they are. In my experience, EBC Severe Duty pads are about the only thing available for the Warrior that are worthy other than the OEM ones. I bought the Tusk sintered brake pads once, which I suspect are the exact same pads as those you listed, and they literally lasted me 2 hours on the track before they were completely smoked, back to metal-on-metal contact.

When it come to pads, EBC of Galfer is the way to go, hands down. (and ill personally take EBC over Galfer any day) Deff. worth what they cost because they will last.

^^ do a google search if dont take my word lol but drilled rotors will wear pads faster and also are very prone to cracks. I ran drilled rotors on my ford fusion awd for about 10 months and noticed this, had one crack so threw stockers back on, however braking efficiency is greatly increased with them

heres an exerpt from a different automotive thread

First, lets get some physics. Tell me how a heatsink with less mass will cool better? You do realize that a brake rotor acts as a large heatsink to transfer heat from the brake pads to the rotor. The heat generated from pads has to go somewhere and so it transfers to the rotor and caliper.

Porsche claims: "Discs are cross-drilled to enhance braking in the wet. The brakes respond faster because the water vapour pressure that builds up during braking can be released more easily."

They have said nothing about enhancing normal braking circumstances and the larger diameter rotors probably make up for the lack of material present in a smaller cross drilled rotor.

From Wilwood's website:

Q: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
A: Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.

Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.

As for the porsche rotors, a few notes from a forum I frequent:

1) The holes are cast in giving a dense boundary layer-type crystalline grain structure around the hole at the microscopic level as opposed to drilling which cuts holes in the existing grain pattern leaving open endgrains, etc, just begging for cracks.

2) The holes are only 1/2 the diameter of the holes in most drilled rotors. This reduces the stress concentration factor due to hole interaction which is a function (not linear) of hole diameters and the distance between them.

3) Since the holes are only 1/2 as big they remove only 1/4 as much surface area and mass from the rotor faces as a larger hole. This does a couple of things:

It increases effective pad area compared with larger holes. The larger the pad area the cooler they will run, all else being equal. If the same amount of heat is generated over a larger surface area it will result in a lower temperature for both surfaces.

It increases the mass the rotor has to absorb heat with. If the same amount of heat is put into a rotor with a larger mass, it will result in a lower temperature.

3) The holes are placed along the vanes, actually cutting into them giving the vane a "half moon" cut along its width. You can see that here:

This does a couple of things:

First, it greatly increases the surface area of the vanes which allows the entire rotors to run cooler which helps prevent cracks by itself.

Second, it effectively stops cracking on that side of the hole which makes it very difficult to get "hole to hole" cracks that go all the way through the face rotor (you'll get tiny surface "spider cracks" on any rotor, blank included if you look hard enough).

That's why Porsche rotors are the only "crossdrilled" rotors I would ever consider putting on my car.

BTW, many of the above features are not present in older Porsche brakes. The above is for "Big Reds" and newer.

This is quite different from the standard drilled rotors you get from brembo/kvr/powerslot/"insert random ricer parts brand name here" brake rotors.

Further proof of the uselessness of cross drilled rotors are found here:

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.htm

Crossdrilling your rotors might look neat, but what is it really doing for you? Well, unless your car is using brake pads from the 40’s and 50’s, not a whole lot. Rotors were first ‘drilled’ because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures – a process known as ‘gassing out’. These gasses then formed a thin layer between the brake pad face and the rotor, acting as a lubricant and effectively lowering the coefficient of friction. The holes were implemented to give the gasses ‘somewhere to go’. It was an effective solution, but today’s friction materials do not exhibit the same gassing out phenomenon as the early pads.

For this reason, the holes have carried over more as a design feature than a performance feature. Contrary to popular belief they don’t lower temperatures (in fact, by removing weight from the rotor, the temperatures can actually increase a little), they create stress risers allowing the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads – sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop. (Want more evidence? Look at NASCAR or F1. You would think that if drilling holes in the rotor was the hot ticket, these teams would be doing it.)

The one glaring exception here is in the rare situation where the rotors are so oversized (look at any performance motorcycle or lighter formula car) that the rotors are drilled like Swiss cheese. While the issues of stress risers and brake pad wear are still present, drilling is used to reduce the mass of the parts in spite of these concerns. Remember – nothing comes for free. If these teams switched to non-drilled rotors, they would see lower operating temperatures and longer brake pad life – at the expense of higher weight. It’s all about trade-offs.

From Stoptech:

Which is better, slotted or drilled rotors?

StopTech provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.

That almost sounds like an excuse to use cross drilled rotors, and for your street car which probably is never driven on the track, the drilled rotors are fine, but as Stoptech states, they will crack and are not good for severe applications.

From Baer:

"What are the benefits to Crossdrilling, Slotting, and Zinc-Washing my rotors?

In years past, crossdrilling and/or Slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads...However, with today’s race pad technology, ‘outgassing’ is no longer much of a concern...Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings."

Then from Grassroots Motorsports:
"Crossdrilling your rotors might look neat, but what is it really doing for you? Well, unless your car is using brake pads from the '40s and 50s, not a whole lot. Rotors were first drilled because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures, a process known as "gassing out." ...It was an effective solution, but today's friction materials do not exhibit the some gassing out phenomenon as the early pads. Contrary to popular belief, they don't lower temperatures. (In fact, by removing weight from the rotor, they can actually cause temperatures to increase a little.) These holes create stress risers that allow the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads--sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop. Want more evidence? Look at NASCAR or F1. You would think that if drilling holes in the rotor was the hot ticket, these teams would be doing it...Slotting rotors, on the other hand, might be a consideration if your sanctioning body allows for it. Cutting thin slots across the face of the rotor can actually help to clean the face of the brake pads over time, helping to reduce the glazing often found during high-speed use which can lower the coefficient of friction. While there may still be a small concern over creating stress risers in the face of the rotor, if the slots are shallow and cut properly, the trade-off appears to be worth the risk. (Have you looked at a NASCAR rotor lately?)

God damn dude nobody's going to take the time to read all that ****! And what applies to a street car doesn't necessarily apply to off road either. Take into consideration that the biggest killer of brake pads on quads and dirt bikes is not actually just gradual, normal wear. They get put through much more abusive conditions than automotive ones typically do, and the drilled holes help to clean out all the grit from mud and dust that will get between the pads and rotors. The solid rear on my warrior warped from excessive heat (partially because a solid rotor like that dissipates heat very slowly), never had that happen with the drilled rotor. The 3 hour screenplay script you posted about them may say otherwise but I disagree with that, maybe that's true in the street world but you're talking about a different animal with this. We tend to travel at lower speeds, with heavier and more frequent braking, and our brake rotors are solid so they don't have the cooling effects that the vanes inside an automotive rotor do. Maybe that makes a difference, maybe not, but being that your article didn't mention a word about anything off road, it has no credibility to me in our application.

Believe what you will, but I can see very easily with my own eyes what the wear tendencies are of a solid rotor vs a drilled rotor when contaminants like mud, water, and sand come into play. All the grime that's left in the holes of my rotors tells me that they are in fact removing contaminants that would otherwise be accelerating wear on the pads and rotors. Among other examples, I just replaced the original set of front brake pads on my Suzuki dual sport, that's the original set of front pads with 18,000 miles on and off road. If drilled rotors accelerate wear for quads and bikes, they don't accelerate it by a whole damn lot that's a long time for a set of brake pads to last.

Damn dude take a chill pill. seriously. and you state that the drilled holes are filled with mud, so when they fill up, what good are they then? check out a brake pad ran on drilled rotors and see where the wear lines are. thats just my opinion, you have yours. no sense in arguing over a forum, like the old saying goes, fighting online is just like winning the special olympics, in the end your still retarded. anyone should be able to post their thoughts or opinions on a subject without getting jumped on i feel.

Back